You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it ok to repurchase Affinity software on the Mac App Store if I already own them from the Serif store?

I recently bought the desktop apps for Mac from the Serif site, but I sort of wish for two reasons to buy it from the Mac App Store instead. I want the auto-update system and I am very tied to my Apple ID, but I'd also not mind supporting the team with a little more revenue.

My only question is, can I just uninstall the Serif.com versions and then buy from the Mac App Store and install those versions? My understanding is they are essentially identical, and the only real difference in the software is the updater.

Will that work? Thanks

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I think it should work, though you would probably lose any customizations you had made (brushes added, workspace layout, etc.). There may be ways you could copy some files around to avoid that, but a Mac user or someone from Serif would need to comment.

But I have a few other points for you to consider:

1. There have been quite a few posts in the forums about the Mac App Store not showing that updates were available unless the users jumped through some hoops, so the automatic updating may not go as well as you envision. (Of course, this may only have been a problem for a small minority of the overall user popuplation.)
  2. If you allow the auto-update and there is any major problem with the applications (as there unfortunately was with 1.8), Mac App Store users cannot downgrade to the prior version. Of course, as you also purchased from Serif you might be able to overcome that, if it happens again, by uninstalling the MAS version and reinstalling from Serif. (With, again, loss of customizations unless you locate and copy files.)
  3. Also, some users prefer to perform updates when they are between projects, or at least not nearing the end of an important deadline. With auto-updates enabled you would lose that ability, if it's important to you.
  4. If you have issues with installing, you will probably need to get help from Apple Support rather than Serif.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
  1. If you allow the auto-update and there is any major problem with the applications (as there unfortunately was with 1.8), Mac App Store users cannot downgrade to the prior version.

If a user keeps a backup of their earlier MAS version(s), downgrading is a trivial process regardless of whether auto-update is enabled or not.

• Staff

Hi Cannon,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, you can do that but they are basically the same (the Mac App Store and Affinity Store versions). Updating the Affinity Store version is also quite easy: it should display a notification (with an Update button) every time a new version is available. You only have to press Update (no downloads or anything else are required). You can also check fro new updates manually if you want going to menu Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher > Check for Updates.