You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Affinity designer App crashing

There’s no other official info on the pin. If I send a video of the Apple Pencil Info it will only say Apple Pencil and won’t say anything about generations or anything else other than double tap to erase and charge info. The pencil charges when attached to the iPad. The app does crash when using my fingers. I don’t see a share option for sending data so I guess I’ll stick to sending videos for now...or something.

• Staff

I think the crash maybe happening in your document when the application autosaves. I can get it to crash very easily by making some quick edits and then returning back to the home screen (which is when it saves). Based on this I lowered my autosave to 30seconds (default is 5 minutes), and as expected it just crashed what must appear seemingly random to you?

Sometimes crashes on save can be caused by some bad history (which is saved by default on the iPad). So with this in mind I went to the History Panel and clicked the Preferences button to the top right and tap 'Clear History'. This will remove all the history (so any changes cannot be un-done from that point onwards), but will allow you to save and also not crash when Autosave is kicked in.

I cleared the history and did a brief run and the file did not crash...for now. I’ll see if it continues to hold up. I think it’s important to note that I made other files, and after a while, they did the same thing. I’m guessing I need to clear their history too, but I’m wondering if this is normal to experience when using programs.

• Staff
1 minute ago, RcAbdulkh said:

I cleared the history and did a brief run and the file did not crash...for now. I’ll see if it continues to hold up. I think it’s important to note that I made other files, and after a while, they did the same thing. I’m guessing I need to clear their history too, but I’m wondering if this is normal to experience when using programs.

Glad to hear the file is now not crashing for you - I'll get this passed on to development to investigate. Interestingly your file doesn't crash on a desktop!

Unfortunately the iPad has a lot less memory than a desktop machine which can cause issues at times especially with resource heavy documents. Unfortunately though its hard to really say (at least from my perspective) whats going on in the document that is causing this.

Hi there. I have this ongoing problem as well and it's getting really frustrating. I don't even get any sort of message. Rather, a few seconds once I open the app it just crashes without saving a thing. No message, nothing. This has happened quite a bit but now it's EVERY time. I get 0 work done. What are we supposed to do???

Hi, i have the same problem in same situation. 
I’m in really trouble cause I have work to do by using affinity designer. 

Could you tell me how can I use this app comfortable?

Could you tell me how many history can I have in the same file?I don’t know it’s too many to stop working the app. 

• Staff

For users who are suffering from crashes, could you please create a new thread in bugs (following these guidelines, adding any files that are crashing and a video demonstrating the crash) please? It will make it easier to deal with your crash, and ensure your issue gets seen

• 11 months later...

Every time I  join a complicated line it crashes, a vector program that can't handle vectors. Seriously. The problem is clear the app sucks up all the memory and doesn't let it go. Ive cleared the history restarted the app and saved it, Join a line out and crash. The reason I know it's holding the memory is that the file will revert back to a place before the cleared history and the app restart. I have to fully restart the ipad. Mind u it could be bad a corrupt line or maybe the of history to the line is the problem. But the real problem is that it worked before now it doesn't and that happened after the last update 

the other reason I know its a memory issue is when i have a file thats two large on procreate, 15x15inch 500dpi it has the same lag in the screen.  

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I ha e been experiencing this same issue. It’s really annoying. When I toggle the visibility of a layer or lock it the app crashes. Once I open the app, it restart in a previously state where none of the latest changes I did exist. It didn’t saved my work. It have happened 5 times in the last hour and it’s quite frustrating. It’s making me question if I really want to keep using affinity designer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, FSanguinetti said:

It have happened 5 times in the last hour and it’s quite frustrating. It’s making me question if I really want to keep using affinity designer.

Update to the current release. It fixes the issue.🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/