You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ShutterStock EPS Compatibility Issue

Hello,

I've downloaded an EPS file from ShutterStock during a trial period and am having some issues. Of the 10 files I download, 8 of them work as expected. 1 has transparency issues, but is not a Designer issue. The other one is an EPS file, is supposed to be scalable, and each element should be separated easily and manipulated (that is kinda the point of an EPS from them).

This EPS appears to simply have the image cut in three pieces, and not have the art elements distinct. I wrote to ShutterStock support, and they said "We would recommend to use Adobe Illustrator as this might be a compatibility issue with the software you are using to edit the file." I've opened hundreds of AI files of all sizes and complexities with no issues at all, so this would be a first. I'm contending with them that they made the wrong file available for download, since they show each element on a separate layer. I'll show screenshots, so I don't get dinged for sharing what is technically a paid for file. If I can share it safely someone let me know. 

Attached are two files, AI LAYERS.jpg and AD 1.8.2 LAYERS.jpg. They show what should be the same document and the layers panel open. I think they moved the AI elements around but no big deal. Can someone tell me if I really need AI to open this properly or what is going on here? I won't go back to AI so that is not an option, I just want to know because I am making a decision on ShutterStock and this is a deal breaker on a simple test.

Thank you and please stay safe out there!

AI LAYERS.jpg

AD 1.82 LAYERS.jpg

the EPS is not pure EPS but Illustrator EPS which is hybrid data of EPS and AI.
Illustrator seems to be reading AI data. because I see there are layer groups which is not supported on EPS.
So it's highly possible EPS and AI data in that file is different.