Revelation14

Shortcut: Quickly switch from Text tool to Move tool

I have transitioned to Affinity from Adobe. And one small thing that does not go smooth is quickly switching between Text tool to Move tool (pointer) through the shortcut. Since I have to do this very frequently I decided to ask simply: What's the best way?

In InDesign I simply clicked on the corner of the text tool to mark it or outside the text frame, and then used the shortcut. This is not working in Affinity, as it constantly creates new text frames when clicking. 

Same problem when being inside a text frame, and I want to mark several layers. The issue is really getting out of the text frame mode quickly, and here I cannot click in the corner of the text frame to mark it, and being able to mark other layers.

I'm using Affinity Publisher for Mac.

I use Ctrl + D (Cmd + D) for Deselect and then V to go out ot text box and then use move tool (if I understood what you tried to achieve). I am not sure, though, if "Deselect" (Ctrl + D) requires a manual keyboard shortcut or if it is a factory default.

The same technique is highly useful also when drawing multiple separate line/curve segments. 

Esc will get you out of text editing mode, and V would then get you the Move Tool.

But if what you want to move is the frame you're working on, just move the mouse cursor over the edge of the frame and it will change to a move cursor. Then move the frame, and move the mouse cursor back into the frame to keep editing.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.979 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.971 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.967 Beta

On a Mac ... I use a Keyboard Shortcut App called "Keyboard Maestro" to perform <Cmd> D + V with the Esc key as the trigger to change from the text tool to the pointer tool (this shortcut actually works from any tool you're using to the pointer tool). Works perfect. This app can be configured to perform keyboard shortcuts for any specific app, group of apps, or globally. Absolutely couldn't live without it. Anything I do that is repetitive gets automated through this app ... plus, if I am migrating from one app to another similar app, (InDesign to AP for example) I apply the keyboard shortcuts from App 1 (or create new ones) to App 2 and I am in business instantly. Brilliant piece of software. (not affiliated btw). This particular shortcut mentioned above was the first one I had to make in AP to mimic what was happening in InDesign.. 

Edited by Beacher

20 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I use Ctrl + D (Cmd + D) for Deselect and then V to go out ot text box and then use move tool (if I understood what you tried to achieve). I am not sure, though, if "Deselect" (Ctrl + D) requires a manual keyboard shortcut or if it is a factory default.

The same technique is highly useful also when drawing multiple separate line/curve segments. 

This works. Thank you!