You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing - Portrait or Landscape

Anyone,

Could not find an answer in a search for printing.

Try as I may I am unable to get a drawing done in Landscape view on an 8 1/2 x 11 document board to print out on my printer in Landscape view.

It always comes out in Portrait view cutting off the right side of the drawing. It appears correct in the Print Dialog showing a Landscape view orientation but prints out in Portrait view orientation.

The printed size is exactly correct as needed because I make many templates that must be full size exact.

I have tried getting Printer margins from the “Document Setup” dialog but nothing changes.

Any ideas.

Max

P.S. Printer is an HP Laserjet Pro 401.

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

None, except as a last resort export to PDF and print from that.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

omegaman,

Thanks for the suggestion. It did, in fact, allow me to get the end results I was looking for. However, as should be obvious from the following explanation, this is would not be the preferred direction to have to take just to accomplish a task that should take no more than selecting “Print” from the menu and clicking on the “Print” button in the dialog. In addition, in this case, starting with an AD file of 45k, exporting and creating a PDF that now becomes 345k just to print it out at the exact size.

Steps it took:

1. Export as a “PDF.”

2. Open the file in “Preview.”

3. Select “Print.”
4. Select “Show Details.”

5. Select “Auto Rotate.”

6. Click on the “Scale” button.

7. Set the scale to 100%.

8. Click on “Print.”

Obviously, either I am missing something very simple or some additional attention needs to be directed to the “Print” routines inside of AD. I will look forward to hearing from the techs on this.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Okay guys I need help here.

I have tried the above trick creating a PDF and printing from there but I also know I should not have to do that to get a correct printout.

Even though I set up the document size and rulers for exactly what I want, which works fine, and I make my graphic exactly the size I want verified by the edit fields for exact size it NEVER prints out the size shown in the artwork and verified by the rulers, etc.

Sometimes a graphic prints out smaller and sometimes larger when printing directly from the “Print” menu item in the “File” menu

Is there some trick here I am missing?

Shouldn’t a graphic of and exact size also print to the exact size too?

Max

My guess is, there is something jumbled up in the printer settings.

Have you, by any chance, ticked a box that reads "fit to page" or something similar?

I'll try printing something later to see what hapens on my mache, in the meantime,could you post a screenshot of your printer settings, please?

Just created a new document setup using 8 1/2 x 11 paper with Type “Print” and units in Millimeters. DPI set to 300 / Portrait. This is also the exact size of the paper I am printing to.

Created a rectangle of an exact 100 x100 mm and said “Print”.

It came out 96 x 96 mm in size or scales to 96% of the actual size. The print dialog does not give me any options to set the scale or I could set it to 104.1667 to compensate for the reduction in printed size.

It appears to have a connection to .96 = ( 4 * ( 72 / 300 ) ) so it does seem to be resolution dependent.

Max

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Blown away by how good Affinity Photo is and realise this is a Beta.

However it is of key importance that such a basic point as selection of Portrait or Landscape is possible without having to rotate and save photos.  Also it would be good if you choose a percentage size in addition to the paper size therefore adjusting the border you want.  Choosing border size is key to proper print presentation and varies depending on subject and colouring of photo.

Hope you can place some priority on this.

• 2 months later...

Since there seemed no answer on this topic, blowing it a bit of new life...  Using AD 1.2 I too have the problem that my landscape oriented drawing prints sideways across portrait i.e., using the long edge of the drawing at the short edge of the print.  The only route that works is print to PDF and then print from there.   Sooh, what am I doing wrong or is this a bug-let?

• 8 years later...

I have the same issue with version 2.  Getting to the end of a landscape document before remembering that affinity designer does not print landscape correctly...

The easiest method (in v2) I have found is to:

1- go to the folder of the file you are having problems printing landscape

2- make a copy of the file you want to print and rename it something like "print _____"

3- open that new copy of the file, with the dimensions you want the file to have.

4- select all the layers and delete them.  The only important part is the dimensions of the document.

5- File / Document Setup

6- click the checkbox "portrait"

7- back to the folder with the file in it

8- drag the original file that you cannot print landscape into the now portrait blank document with the correct dimensions.

9- grab the corner and shift drag to spin it by increments of whatever to 90 degrees so it is now vertical.

10- move it into position.

11- print

---

if you need to edit the thing, at least in v2, you can double-click the image in your "print" file to open up your embedded file in landscape view to make modifications and these changes automatically show in the "print" file.  But,... you do have to remember to print from within the "print" file and not your embedded original landscape file.

---

Next time you create a landscape file in Designer v2 and above, you can hopefully remember to create the portrait version "print" file at the same time as the blank, and do the embed drag and drop before you actually take time making all those layers.  But if you occasionally forget, now you know a relatively easy fix that allows you to print landscape AND edit it whenever needed.

Hope this helps.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Psychopath