You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when opening file

Hi all,

I have been working on a file for the past two days and no Publisher crashes when I open the file. I am not aware of anything that might have happened to the file in the meantime.

The same happens when I open the file in Designer.

I googled, and found a forum post to press <ctrl> and reset user settings - I've reset everything, and still the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shuben

20200229_photobook_2019_2pages.afpub

• Staff

Hi @shuben,

It opens for me, I've seen a few reports like this and i think it's related to the linked images - have you edited these externally by any chance?

If you rename the "201902_Newzealand" folder it should break the link to the images, does it then load for you?

Edit: Also can you rename the afdesign file that is placed in this document, I think that might be where the problem is

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi, your document loads fine for me in 1.8 with the expected message that some of the linked files are missing.

Which indicates that maybe one or more of the linked files are preventing you from opening the document

I would try renaming the folder(s) that contain the linked files and seeing if Publisher will then open the document - and then relinking them if it does.

Alternatively, move all linked files and add them back in batches (restarting Publisher after each batch) to narrow down which file(s) causes the problem.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You guys are awesome!

I have embedded a full page from Affinity Designer, breaking that path did the trick. And I actually might have changed that file - it usually gives me a pop-up  saying that resources have been updated, and updates it automatically.

Stupid question: Why are your error logs not readable? (Or what tool do I need to read them?) Wouldn't it be totally obvious from the error log how to fix the problem? I am just a Linux guy who moved over from Scribus just recently, things seemed more... accessible 🙂