You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo opens and closes instantly !!

Hi,

I have the problem of Affinity Photo opening and immediately closing. I have just updated to 1.8. I have tried the solutions here and they do not fix the problem for me. I cannot even open by using 'open with' on an image as this does the same - Affinity Photo opens in a window and after 1 second closes. I have restarted the PC, I Have edited the file in Appdata to say welcomscreen is false. I am reasonably PC literate but I have little experience of digging into the complexities.

i have Kaspersky running and have told it to treat Photo as a trusted application in case that might help, it didn’t. I notice there are dmp files for each time it’s crashed out but I’ve no idea what to do with them.

Can anybody help?!?

Peter

What are your computer specs ?

12 hours ago, Peter Beaves said:

I Have edited the file in Appdata

Which file ?

12 hours ago, Peter Beaves said:

I notice there are dmp files for each time it’s crashed out but I’ve no idea what to do with them.

Just attach them

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff
13 hours ago, Peter Beaves said:

Hi,

I have the problem of Affinity Photo opening and immediately closing. I have just updated to 1.8. I have tried the solutions here and they do not fix the problem for me. I cannot even open by using 'open with' on an image as this does the same - Affinity Photo opens in a window and after 1 second closes. I have restarted the PC, I Have edited the file in Appdata to say welcomscreen is false. I am reasonably PC literate but I have little experience of digging into the complexities.

i have Kaspersky running and have told it to treat Photo as a trusted application in case that might help, it didn’t. I notice there are dmp files for each time it’s crashed out but I’ve no idea what to do with them.

Can anybody help?!?

Peter

Did the app work fine before the 1.8.1 update? As @HVDB Photography mentions above, please attach the .dmp files to this thread and we'll look into this further for you.

Ok just been directed here as my original post disappeared and now that I have reposted it I have been told that a separate thread was set up. Ok I will attach the latest dmp file tomorrow. 
The app had been working but I hadn’t used it for a while. When I saw there was a new update I tried the app to see what version it was but it did the open/close thing so I did the update expecting that it would then be ok. Unfortunately it was just the same.

Not sure my computer specs are relevant but it’s a dual core Intel with an Nvidia GTX 760 (yes it’s crappy but it does what I want). I have successfully used Photo for a while before this problem hit and the only thing that’s changed will be normal Windows updates.

Hope that helps a bit, but I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to post a dmp file.

Thanks

Peter

• Staff

Thanks for replying @Peter Beaves I can see from your other thread that you're getting the Startup screen that states it's loading fonts and then crashes. This issue is affecting some users and our developers are investigating but in the meantime I can only suggest that you downgrade to the 1.7.3 version until our developers figure out what's causing the issue. It can be downloaded from here: 

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

When I have more information about this issue, I will update this thread.

Thanks for the info. Do I need to uninstall version 1.8 and install 1.7.3 as a new install? If so are my product keys still valid?

Also I did mention that I had this problem BEFORE I updated to 1.8! Since I hadn’t used Photo for a while (actually since Christmas I think) and it worked ok back then, doesn’t this mean there must be something that has changed in Windows 10 to cause this error? Just a thought.

Peter

• Staff

I would uninstall and then reinstall 1.7.3 for the time being. A very small number of users did report this issue with 1.7.3 but it appeared to happen at random times when opening the app. 

Ok, I have uninstalled 1.8 and reinstalled 1.7.3. Once finished installing it would not open from the desk top link without crashing immediately after it displayed the 'there is a later version' message. I tried opening from an image with 'open with' and that was successful. Now closing it and going back to the desktop link to open it, it opened successfully! Turned of PC and restarted and now desktop link works reliably! 
No idea what’s going on, but at least I can use it, but would like to update to 1.8 eventually!

Thanks for your help

Peter.

• Staff

Hi @Peter Beaves I just wanted to let you know that we have released a new beta build for both Affinity Photo and Designer on Windows that will hopefully improve/fix our apps from crashing on startup when loading fonts. Can you download and install to see if the app(s) starts without any issues?

Hi,

I am happy to report that this beta version of Photo has fixed the problem for me. I have opened it from the desktop shortcut and also from an image with 'open with'. I have done this multiple times and the issue has not recurred. 
( as I noticed my PC was doing a fairly large Windows update I waited until it finished and restarted the PC, everything still fine).

I don’t have Designer installed so have not tested the beta for that.

• Staff
14 hours ago, Peter Beaves said:

Hi,

I am happy to report that this beta version of Photo has fixed the problem for me. I have opened it from the desktop shortcut and also from an image with 'open with'. I have done this multiple times and the issue has not recurred. 
( as I noticed my PC was doing a fairly large Windows update I waited until it finished and restarted the PC, everything still fine).

I don’t have Designer installed so have not tested the beta for that.

That's great to hear - thanks for confirming 👍

• Staff
I just wanted to let everyone know that we have released the new update, 1.8.2, that fixes the issue users were having where the app wouldn't get past the loading screen because of fonts. If you purchased the app from the Affinity Store you can download the update from:

If you purchased the app from the Microsoft Store the update will be available to download from the updates section.