You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can bleed be set to inside (spine)/outside (trim)?

Hello,

Is there a way to set bleed based on inside (spine)/outside (trim) in alternating fashion in the same way this can be done for margins? The reason I ask is that I'm submitting a book to Blurb who requires a single-page (not facing pages) PDF set to two-page view in Acrobat. With the same bleed on all four page sides, their system reads the two-page view PDF as too wide by the amount of bleed on the inside (spine) edge of each page.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this.

Dave,

16 minutes ago, DaveF61 said:

Is there a way to set bleed based on inside (spine)/outside (trim) in alternating fashion in the same way this can be done for margins?

Yes, Publisher can do that, if you setup your document as Facing Pages.

It sounds, though, like you'll then need to export Pages rather than Spreads when you create your PDF, and then use Acrobat to set it back to two-page view. (I really don't understand why that would be any different than just exporting Spreads; I'll just have to take your word that it's needed.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks so much, Walt. I didn't realize I could export a facing pages document as single pages--I'll try that as I have both versions. I agree it's weird and shouldn't matter. And thanks Mike--this is what Blurb is telling me and I find it odd.

The advice is much appreciated.

Dave.

16 minutes ago, DaveF61 said:

... Mike--this is what Blurb is telling me and I find it odd. ...

Hi Dave,

I've sent PDFs I've made to Blurb for a couple dozen clients comprising thousands of imprints and have followed their instructions on their web site and none have ever had a viewer setting of two-page spread. But it does help an author run through the proofs I've sent them visualize how it will appear in print.

If you were actually told to do this by Blurb, they have mis-communicated something.

Hi guys,

I meant to follow up earlier. I followed Walt's advice to set Publisher's PDF output to pages then followed Blurb's online instructions page to set the PDF to Two-Page View in Acrobat and the PDF was accepted by their upload site. This is my first Blurb book so I don't have Mike's experience with them, so it seems entirely possible that the customer service agent I corresponded with was incorrect as per Mike when he told me that a facing pages PDF would be unacceptable which means both methods work.

Dave.