You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tapered Line Bug

Hi team. 

So I've recently purchased a brand new XP-Pen Artist 22R Pro tablet, and I've been noticing something odd in Affinity's apps when using brushes.
I primarily use Photo for digital illustration, but this 'bug' seems to be prevalent in all three desktop apps (Photo, Designer and Publisher). 

It's not the end of the world, but it does cause me to have to do a bit of extra work to ensure that my linework looks the way I intend for it to. 
In a nutshell, no matter how much pressure I apply, my strokes always start with a taper. 
So, basically, if I were to try and create a stroke from thick to thin using the brush tool, the stroke would start thin (even with a lot off pressure), become thick (as if the pressure gradually kicked in).
Similarly, if I were to apply full pressure for a stroke to create a thick mono-weight stroke, it would still start with a thin taper. 

My workaround has been to try and start most of my tapered stroke from the thin end instead, which works, but it's still a bit tedious having to keep that in mind throughout a full illustration.

The image below shows me trying to create strokes that start thick, but for some reason the app doesn't seem to recognise the full pressure input straight away resulting in a small taper at the start of the stroke. The quicker I draw the stroke the more prevalent the initial unwanted taper becomes.

I haven't noticed this in any other drawing/creative software, which leads me to believe that it could be something in Affinity apps specifically.  For the most part, the tablet is working incredibly well with the apps and I haven't noticed any other critical issues.

Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 10.54.20.png

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

What are your brush settings set to?

I can get this to happen when I increase my Size Jitter and set it to Velocity. Can we have a screenshot please? :) 

@Chris B That's super odd! It seems to be happening with all of my brushes in the app, so I'm assuming it might be an input issue, or a slow initial activation rate for the XP-Pen tablet input. 
Almost as if the app takes a split second to understand what the tablet pen is doing. 

The settings in the screenshots are just for the Classic Round brush from the Comix Toolkit brush pack - the only real variable is the size jitter, which is set to pressure.
For some reason it only seems to affect the size, and not the opacity/accumulation for brushes that have accumulation jitter activated.

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 15.51.58.png

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 15.52.08.png

• Staff

This does seem a bit more prominent with our XP-Pen than it does a Wacom tablet. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the surface of the tablet or the driver. It doesn't happen all the time though—maybe one in ten strokes for me.

21 minutes ago, Chris B said:

This does seem a bit more prominent with our XP-Pen than it does a Wacom tablet. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the surface of the tablet or the driver. It doesn't happen all the time though—maybe one in ten strokes for me.

Maybe it's just an XP-Pen bug then - I see they've just released a driver update too.
Either way, I figured I'd just double check to see if maybe it was a bit of miscommunication between the driver and the apps. 
Thanks for looking into it!