You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask in macros

In case anyone is interested (I spent about two hours experimenting with it):

I often use copies of pixel layers as masks so I wanted to create a macro for this but it seems it's not directly supported...

I wanted to take a pixel layer, convert it to a mask, adjust its levels and add it to a pixel layer above it using "Mask to Below".

It seems it does not matter whether you place the mask as a child layer or as a masking layer because only its alpha channel is used (but it affects the way you could stack Adjustments) so I came up with two workarounds:

1.  Masking layer

Select the layer to be adjusted, Layer - New empty mask layer, select the original pixel layer, Convert to mask, Select - Selection from Layer, select the empty mask, Fill with white, select the parent masked layer, Adjustment - Levels (set to Alpha)

2. Child layer

Select the original pixel layer, Convert to mask, Adjustment - Levels (set to Alpha), select the layer to be adjusted, move it right *below* the mask (e.g. Arrange - Move Forward One or Move Backward One), select the mask layer, Arrange - Move inside

Anyway, adding "Mask to Below" to main menu would be still welcomed... =)

EDIT: I started typing this post as a question but it turned out to be a workaround too so it might belong to a different section.

• Staff

Hi Gunny :)

Thanks for your workarounds! 

52 minutes ago, Gunny said:

Anyway, adding "Mask to Below" to main menu would be still welcomed... =)

EDIT: I started typing this post as a question but it turned out to be a workaround too so it might belong to a different section.

I've moved this post to Feature Requests for our developers to see and consider :)

Thanks!

By the way, I really miss some (at least basic) tools for editing macros. This is the first time I created something longer (30+ steps) and it's very easy to forget about some setting. Right now we could only add new steps to the end of the macro. It would be nice if we could delete useless steps and change the order of steps (at least through "move up" and "move down") too.