You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dialogs disappear on Mac Catalina, Affinity Photo full screen mode

I just upgraded my MacBook Air to Catalina, and now have occasional issues with dialog boxes disappearing on Affinity Photo.  It's inconsistent, but happens to me several times a day with different dialogs.

Here's an example:
 - I'm adding Levels adjustment layer to an image.  Sometimes I can see the window where I can adjust the levels, other times it disappears and I can't see any way to work with that adjustment.

What's happening is that I work with Photo in full screen mode on the Mac, to maximize my limited screen size.  Sometimes the dialog gets "hidden" behind the full screen Photo app.  If I change my Photo app out of full screen mode, then I can move its window and find the missing dialog hiding behind it.  I can do what I need to do there, and then go back into full screen mode.

This was never an issue before the Catalina upgrade.

Thanks!   -  Deanna.

• Staff

Hi deannak,

I've tried replicating this on a Macbook with Affinity Photo in full screen mode and each time i applied the adjustments they came to the front of the UI.  Can you let me know what other display settings you have set in System Preferences>Display, is it Default for display or one of the scaling options?

I'll also see if i can hunt down a Macbook Air as i'm currently using a pro with what i suspect will be a slightly bigger screen than the air.

Thanks for checking into this!  My system preferences are set to Default for display.  The screen size on this is quite small.  When it's not in full-screen mode, the zoom tool is off the bottom of the left side toolbar, so I use full-screen all the time.

Here's one scenario where this seems to happen:

- I add a Levels adjustment layer, and all works fine - I can adjust as I want
 - With that Levels window open, I highlight a different layer in the Layers list
 - The Levels window goes away
 - I can't get it back by double clicking on the Levels adjustment layer again
 - If I exit full screen mode, I can find it behind the main Photo window

Thanks!   -  Deanna.

5 hours ago, deannak said:

- I can't get it back by double clicking on the Levels adjustment layer again

I can only test with my 27" iMac but in FullScreen Mode for me double-clicking on the adjustment layer brings the adjustment window back to the front. Are you sure you are double-clicking on the thumbnail of the adjustment layer & not something else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi again. -

Yes, I'm definitely clicking on the thumbnail of the adjustment layer.

I've been doing some more testing, and here's what I've found.  

- Create a levels adjustment layer and adjust to my heart's content

- If I CLOSE the Levels adjustment window, then click on another layer, then I can double click on the adjustment layer thumbnail and the window reappears

- If I do NOT close the Levels adjustment window, but just click on another layer, then the adjustment window disappears and I cannot get it back by double clicking the thumbnail for the adjustment layer.

Hope that helps!    -  Deanna.

43 minutes ago, deannak said:

- If I do NOT close the Levels adjustment window, but just click on another layer, then the adjustment window disappears and I cannot get it back by double clicking the thumbnail for the adjustment layer.

I have tested both ways & double-clicking on the adjustment thumbnail brings it back to the front. Maybe this is something specific to Macbook Airs?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have tested both ways & double-clicking on the adjustment thumbnail brings it back to the front. Maybe this is something specific to Macbook Airs?

Maybe, I don't know.  I just updated my macOS to 10.15.1, and the same thing still happens.  

- When it's not in full screen mode, the adjustment window always returns when I double click the thumbnail, as expected.  
 - When in full screen mode, it depends on whether that window was open or not when I clicked on a different layer, as described above.

Good luck with it!   -  Deanna.