You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello. The program has one very old and incomprehensible moment, which is simply misleading.

For example.

I need to cut a certain height of a digit on the plotter. Let it be 6 centimeters, or 60 millimeters.

Naturally, I set the size in the font size settings window to 60 millimeters. But at the same time, the transformation panel shows a completely different size !!! Who to believe?

Ashampoo_Snap_2019_10.26_00215.thumb.png.f8dcbaa713d4c43943c336bb64ba4ea7.png

I draw a rectangle and set it to the size on the transformation panel - 60 millimeters ... And judging by the grid, indeed, this size is similar to the real one.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019_10.26_00216.thumb.png.47a959ce851308bb82ee22054b2ce7bb.png

But then for the figure, you must specify the size on the transformation panel. But, the font size, as you see, has changed a lot !!!

Ashampoo_Snap_2019_10.26_00218.thumb.png.6573511a2b7e8a051e1d71f821a97fcc.png

How to calculate the correct font size in millimeters ??? And these are only two digits, and if you need to set the exact size of the text, in which there are a lot of words and lines ??? I think this is just unreal!

Maybe it’s worth balancing both sizes somehow?

Maybe I'm wrong ... Thanks.

Text size is not the same as character height, or cap height as you have presented here. Text size is cap size + built-in default leading in the character set. Thus text size is usually bigger than cap height. This also varies a lot as this is something that font designer decides and he/she may prefer something else for the design than the next font designer.

Transform panel presents the object size, which generally is other than text size – when using artistic text it refers to the outer boundaries of text, here cap height. If text had descenders the value would be again different.

4 hours ago, graphos said:

Naturally, I set the size in the font size settings window to 60 millimeters.

These are both the same font size " X x  " you can see that they are not the same height. The transform panel gives you the actual height.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.