You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Swatches -- values change

Hi,

I have created a colour palette for a particular customer. One of their colours is a dark red with the CMYK values 0/100/100/0.

When I change the jobs colour profile, the objects with this colour show up as CMYK 17/100/100/2. I changed the colour profile again and got CMYK 18/80/73/8. When I switch back to the original profile that was used when creating the swatches, the colour comes up as CMYK 13/78/69/8 ... however, when I re-apply the original swatch, the colour reverts back to it's intended values.

In my understanding, colour profiles should change how colours are displayed on screen, but they should never, ever, ever change the actual colour values of existing objects -- I have worked with many other graphic design apps and in my more than 20 years of experience, this has never happened before, so I'm understandably surprised and confused.

What is happening here? Is there a reason for this, or an explanation? Is this a bug? If so, can you please fix it?

2 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

When I change the jobs colour profile

I'm almost afraid to post in this particular topic, as I do not have much experience with color profiles (all of my printing is in black). But let me ask this one question just in case it might be of help:

When you "change" the job's color profile, by change do you mean "assign" or "convert," as both options are available and should have different results? Perhaps that might at least clarify the discussion.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

do you mean "assign" or "convert,

HA! You solved it, thanks ... I didn't notice the two buttons "assign" and "convert", seems the standard setting on my machine is "convert". Thanks!!

Is there an option to set the standard to "assign"? I opened and closed Publisher a couple of times and it always reverts to "convert" when I open the document settings.