Is Publisher since its fresh out of beta, is it up to the job of handling a yearbook? 

I have students who are ignorant of doing any kind of publishing. I myself haven't done anything as complex as a yearbook, so we don't want the learning curve of InDesign but need something more robust than the online yearbook drag and drop options. 

What is the hurdles I would be facing with a new software for such a complex job?

The learning curve is not that bad. Try going out to Youtube and looking for Affinity Publisher and watch some of the videos. There are some over views to watch but do watch some on the basics such as master pages, text wrapping and frames etc.

Affinity Revolution has a course along with some good tutorials on Youtube.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 & beta 1.8.0.486   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 beta  1.8.0.486 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.422 beta  1.7.2.458

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png