As a surface pattern designer I have historically used Adobe photoshop to create stand-alone repeating patterns with or without backgrounds that are also designed to incorporate texture and/or pattern. The resulting designs were saved as "defined patterns" and applied to artboards of any size using the following steps:

1. edit——define pattern-ok
  2. Open new document e.g. 10,000x10,000px
  3. edit-fill-contents (select pattern option as opposed to foreground or background fill) ——select required pattern from a list-ok

While I am very happy at the switch to Affinity I am struggling to figure out how to visually proof my designs this way (which are often designed using 2000px square artboards to create the repeat) when I need to be able to show that the repeat is working and simultaneously put the size it was created at into perspective. Also, some websites require large areas of repeat (up to 15,000px square) to enable on demand printing of fabric in the specific design.

I have attached a couple of examples below to demonstrate the kind of work that I am discussing here.

As a designer who is relatively new to digital systems I am focused on the creative aspect of my work and not especially tech savvy, so would appreciate an “idiots guide” approach to this if anyone has the time to respond. Any support with this would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Untitled.png

FRAGMENTED CIRCLES B5 3000PX FLATTENED.png

Hi Callum,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I really appreciate your input.

I will certainly take a look at the youtube video as you advise.

Kind Regards

H

One way though you could test this is using your pdf producer as the printer driver and then us n-up printing to repeat the pattern.

Like here (I have defined A0 paper size in Adobe Acrobat print driver, and then specified n-up printing):

n-up_printing.jpg.befedd204d48cfe7ce7a134670121b39.jpg

You can also scale down the pattern to fit more on sheet. I suppose you should be able to define arbitrary paper sizes for pdf printer drivers. Affinity has internal settings up to A2 size, at least.

pattern_A2.pdf

pattern_A0.pdf

pattern_A0_scale25.pdf

Not of course the same as pattern fill in Photoshop but might still be useful.

This is a 50x50-inch sheet created in Adobe Acrobat driver. If you fill it with 8 x 8 patterns each 2,000x2,000 pixels, and print it at 300dpi, you get a 15,000x15,000px pattern sheet (1,000px, or half of the last pattern on the rightmost column and bottom row get over the sheet). 

You can open this in Affinity Photo and define as opening resolution 300 dpi, and you get that sheet as a bitmap.

(The pattern used here was a screenshot from this forum so its quality is naturally poorer. But just to demonstrate the idea.)

pattern_15000x15000px_sheet.pdf

If your using Designer i like these tutorials by East coast charm using symbols : Create A Pattern Template In Affinity Designer       Half Drop Repeat In Affinity Designer Using Symbols

You can also create just a basic fill of a pattern using the Gradient fill tool and choosing bitmap fill from the 'Type' setting, in drop down list on the contest toolbar.

Hi Lagarto,

Thank you for this. I have been somewhat concerned about tiling patterns as hairlines often result, but this looks great! 

Do you have a particular system for placing the 2000px squares or is it just a copy and paste then place into position with the help of the transform tool for positioning?

Kind Regards :) 

Hi Summersara,

Thank you for your input. 

I have tried a few different variations on tiling of patterns and most often seem to end up with hairlines in my background even if I complete the background in pixel persona. As a result I have gone back to the way I used to achieve large repeats of patterns using the wrap and affine functions in photo, which gives a perfect result. The only difference is that I create the symbols/assets in vector persona. My issue is just scaling up the finished repeating area so that I can upload to sites like Society6 who require a finished size upload..

Regards :) 

4 hours ago, dannythedog11 said:

Do you have a particular system for placing the 2000px squares or is it just a copy and paste then place into position with the help of the transform tool for positioning?

No, it's basically automatic, just using Affinity Photo's Print command and applying N-Up printing (as shown by the screenshot).

When you use a PDF producer (see if you have Adobe PDF or Microsoft Print to PDF mentioned in the list of printers, when you open the Print dialog box), you can save a tiled pattern as a pdf and then open it in Photo to save it as an image (JPG or whatever is required).

If you happen to have Adobe PDF Printer, you can specify a custom paper size in the printers's Properties page, accessed with a button beside the Prirnter list), e.g. 50x50 inches which would result in a 15,000 x 15,000 pixel graphics if you print at 300 dpi resolution. If you typically work on a 2,000 x 2,000 px pattern original, you would print these 8 across and 8 down, to get full sheet of tiled patterns. If your PDF printer does not allow custom sheet sizes, there might be an existing paper size (as a printer property) that fits the purpose, or you can select a sheet size from the Affinity Print dialog box.

The pattern tiling will be seamless as long as your pattern is, so there should not occur positioning mistakes!

If anyone is interested in enabling custom page sizes for Microsoft Print to PDF driver, instructions can be found here (this works at least up to Windows build 1903, tested on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system):

https://franklinheath.co.uk/2015/08/29/custom-page-sizes-for-microsoft-print-to-pdf/

(by default custom sizes are not allowed for this driver, while they are for Adobe Printer).

Note that the actual custom form sizes must be specified in

<Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers> 

by clicking "Print server properties" on the toolbar (for Adobe Printer custom sizes can be defined also directly from the driver properties). Form sizes are common for the system so there is no need to specify forms for each and every printer installed on the system.

custom_papersize.jpg.d6c3404355090e35c9d8849918459ea0.jpg

nup_print_mspdf.jpg.4c3eefdcd8bbea0320ebe98ccccbf5e1.jpg