You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for "Erase" mode in SVG / PDF export in Designer

Hi, I often design some assets for mobile apps and I usually encounter this problem.

At design time, I'm used to use the "Erase" mode for some shapes (using compound shapes and/or cutting the underlaying shapes does not work in cases I need to use gradient fills or colored strokes). During export to vector formats, these "Erase" effects get rasterized, which is not what I need for the mobile app assets. In the end, I have to make copies of all the designs and "flatten" them manually, which is really slow and tedious process... I have to expand all strokes, convert many shapes to curves and make boolean cuts them with the "Erase" shapes over them.

So, would it be possible to either support vectorized output of the "Erase" effect, or at least add some automated flattening procedure for layers / groups?

Thanks for considering. This would be a huge time saver in my work flow :)

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

If I understand you correctly, what you're asking for is similar to "Erase" in iDraw.  If that's the case, I would love to have that feature in Designer.  It allows for some interesting constructions in a quick and easy fashion.