You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For today's weirdness, I have two things that are just driving me nuts. Can anyone help and tell me what is going on?

1. On the master page I created a text box. It had a grey background...I didn't ask for one. In the character panel I was completely unable to change the colour to white or transparent even though the pallet says it is for 'background colour' (even with the text box selected, trying to establish a default for the tool or any other way in the visible menus). Eventually, I found I could do this is in Studio in a deep down menu call 'textbox' - this is completely counterintuitive; I should be able to change any aspect of the text box with the swatches available on the right side of the screen, shouldn't I?

2. I create a text box on the master page in black font on an invisible background. I move the text board onto the paste board and the text disappears completely. However, I have another document I made earlier, where this does not happen and the text remains visible. So just to check, I copy a text box from that document and paste it into the new one. This too goes invisible when it is is moved to the pasteboard. See the picture below.

I am so irritated at trying to wrestle with this parameters that should be simple to set!

Invisible text.png

Hi Anjux3

1) In the Character Panel you can change the background of individual characters/words etc. In the Text Frame panel you change the background of the Text Frame. That seems sensible to me. If you are changing a text frame from a Master Page you need to click on the Master Page in the Layers panel and then click "Detach" to enable editing.

.image.png.e5e4d6731d560042d53aca4e3d387011.png

2) You need to turn Clip to Canvass off

image.png.f10840c6c2681bd75d1a59490bce3fbe.png

image.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Thanks so much Mick,

I think I was finding this as you were typing - sorry to have wasted your time. I'm grateful people are generous enough to help.

It is still seems a little odd to me though that the clip to canvas and other settings seem to change (I'm not entirely tech novice so I'd know if I changed a setting!)