You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't copy an image from Word

I work at a church, and we've always used Word to create our bulletins, but are trying to switch to Affinity due to some problems with Word. However, I'm having trouble placing hymn graphics. The source I get these graphics from doesn't allow you to download them as image files; you have to copy and paste them. I plan everything in Word before I try to do anything in Affinity. But when I try to copy and paste a graphic from Word, I just get a blank box. The layer is listed as "Frame Text." Any idea why the image doesn't show?

1.png

2.png

• Staff

Hi Caitlin,

Welcome to the forums :)

It looks like the object you have selected in Word is appearing as a text object, but I'll need a copy of the document to check this.

Could you please upload a copy of your .docx document to the following link for me? Many thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/4UHkY1dnEoaivJb65UDu

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your file Caitlin, there are a few things to note here -

1. As you are copying images, you need to select each image individually, I can see from your screenshot that you have selected multiple images with the text selection tool, and when you paste this into Affinity we can only read the text on the clipboard.
  2. If you select a singular image and then use Edit>Paste (or CTRL + V) in Publisher, it's actually pasting an 'Enhanced Windows Metadata' file, causing the image to be distorted, as below - 
    image.png

I've logged this with our developers, as this behaviour certainly isn't correct.

There are 2 options available here, if you select the image in Word then right-click this, you have the option to save the image to your drive - then you can use File>Place in Publisher to bring this image into your design.

Another option is to select 1 image in Word & copy it (CTRL + C) then go to Publisher and use Edit>Paste Special... - in the window that opens you should see one of the options is PNG. Select this and your image should paste into Publisher correctly. I hope this helps! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, thanks for your help. I pasted a single image as a PNG as you suggested and it worked. The thing is, though, my boss has a MacBook and he is able to paste the entire set of images with no problems. Is this a known difference with Affinity on Mac vs. on PC?

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

go to Publisher and use Edit>Paste Special... - in the window that opens

Are the menu item "Paste Special..." and options window context related and do occur with a specific paste board content only?

1023438724_pasteimage-specialmenu.png.a2fae50100e0bd97aff501c566b5875e.png

I wonder because I have a similar issue but with a different app (image browser/data base).

It pastes a copied jpg or png either as a blank image frame (embedded "image.tif") or as text with meta data, which also results when I drag/drop the image:

1476802621_pasteimage-metadatainstead.jpg.1ab71c20575c29402adfaba1f1a1a966.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm glad to hear it!

18 hours ago, Caitlin said:

The thing is, though, my boss has a MacBook and he is able to paste the entire set of images with no problems. Is this a known difference with Affinity on Mac vs. on PC?

When using a Mac, we don't have access to the 'Enhanced Windows Metadata', so the option here is defaulting correctly to PNG - this is the bug I've raised with our development team :)

18 hours ago, thomaso said:

Are the menu item "Paste Special..." and options window context related and do occur with a specific paste board content only?

Apologies, Paste Special is a Windows only feature - however the paste options available to you on Mac will be based on your current clipboard content and Publisher should dynamically read this and change the paste options accordingly.

18 hours ago, thomaso said:

It pastes a copied jpg or png either as a blank image frame (embedded "image.tif") or as text with meta data, which also results when I drag/drop the image:

I've not seen this happen before! From which app does the image originate? Does this happen with any image from that app, or only certain ones?

Please note -

Many thanks!

> Apologies, Paste Special is a Windows only feature
No need to apologize; rather my fault, since this thread was started for Windows obviously. But thank you for the infos!

18 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I've not seen this happen before! From which app does the image originate? Does this happen with any image from that app, or only certain ones? 

It happens with "Expression Media 2.app" with all its items in every .afpub – but with none in no other app which allows to place an image.

• With copy/paste in AfPub it either pastes a thumbnail only or an empty image frame with an embedded but empty .tif – depending on the way I copy in the other app.
• With drag & drop in AfPub it shows the image thumbnail with a + symbol – but, on mouse release, it pastes its metadata as text.

• Staff
30 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It happens with "Expression Media 2.app" with all its items in every .afpub – but with none in no other app which allows to place an image.

Thanks for the info, I can see you've logged this previously and is something our team are aware of, but unfortunately without being able to download/access the original app we many not be able to fix this. 

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks Dan. Maybe it will be one of those apps which have to die on my computer because of technical progress (though I appreciate its flexible cataloging capabilities). In case you want me to sent for validation reasons an installer .dmg of this app just let me know.