You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constraints and dimensions

Hello,

I love AD and I use it not only for illustration work but I also do a lot of sketching for technical designs. The vector tools of AD are the most convenient ones I know and even CAD tools like AutoCAD or Fusion 360 cannot compete with the usability, simplicity and intuitive workflow of drawing 2D shapes - plus the AD's performance is really outstanding! 

What I would really like to see in AD are more "parametric" ways of exactly defining shapes and shape segments i.e. by providing dimensional and relational constraints. I know AD is not a CAD tool, but it has all the snapping and precise vertex placement already implemented. It would be simply an addition to place vertices where they should be by providing numerical values like the length of a line, the distance between to vertices, the spatial alignment of lines (either parallel or orthogonal) or to force multiple segments to copy the behavior of an reference object (e.g. the length of multiple lines changes when the length of a reference line changes, or one coordinate of an object stays equal to another coordinate of another object).

This annotations could be also visualized or hidden in a final "rendering".

If this also would be exportable into lets say a DWG file, Affinity would made a big imprint into the CAD scene for sure.

Bye,
Martin

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.