You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Naming Conventions

fullsizeoutput_*.jpeg is the name Apple Photos (not Affinity Photo) assigns to files it creates in certain subfolders of the Photos Library.photolibrary folder for use in that app. They are not intended for use in any other app.

I am not sure what you might be doing to access these files or open them in Affinity Photo, if that is what you are doing, so more info from you might help identify what's going on. Are you opening the affected img files directly from the Finder, in some way from Apple Photos, or what?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C_R,

I am accessing the files from Affinity 'OPEN' command.  I can manipulate them in Affinity and they are saved as .afphoto images. There seems to be no downside other than loosing the IMG_ identity. They appear in Photos with the * .jpg extension and no reference to any other distinction. I am asking Apple to explain as well.

59 minutes ago, PaulD said:

I am accessing the files from Affinity 'OPEN' command.

So are you navigating into the Photos Library.photoslibrary "Photo Library" package file & from there into one of its resources subfolders (like media) where the fullsizeoutput_*.jpeg files are stored, or doing something else?

I am not even sure how you could do that from the Affinity Photo Open command, but be advised that Apple warns that altering the contents of this Library folder using Finder can accidentally cause deletion or corruption of a Photos library. I assume the same applies to using the Affinity Open command if it results in any alteration of those contents.

There are better (& much safer) ways to access photos stored in Photos Library.photoslibrary packages, for example using the Media > Photos item in the Open dialog sidebar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No response from Apple. I experimented and found how 'fullsizeoutput_*.afphoto comes about.  I Opened in Photos and then edited 'by extensions' to Affinity, then Flattened,  Saved and Closed back to Photos. Photos then asks if you want to save the edited (Affinity) file and posts the Affinity Edited version back to Photos. This is the proposed way to edit from Photos using Affinity . When I reopen the image inAffinity, it has the ''fullsizeoutput_*.afphoto'   extension. 

I will use the Export/Inport approach instead.

Thanks for your continued support.

Photos to Affinity.png

Affinity back to Photos.png

Open in Affinity after Edit.png

Affinity Version?.png

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

I Opened in Photos and then edited 'by extensions' to Affinity, then Flattened,  Saved and Closed back to Photos.

FWIW, the flatten step is not needed when sending the edited photo back to Apple Photos because Apple requires Photos extensions to send back a JPEG version. (The details of how this works are a bit complicated but explained fully here.) 

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

When I reopen the image inAffinity, it has the ''fullsizeoutput_*.afphoto'   extension. 

I am not sure which method you used to open that file in AP, but some years ago I posted that I considered it a bug that in Affinity "Open Recents" would include these files because (like Apple has said) nothing stored in an Apple Photos photolibrary container should be opened directly by anything other than the Apple Photos app itself.

Affinity Photo