You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone.

This might sound a bit silly but please bear with me. I needed to crop part of a picture using a heart shape, and the cropped piece needed to be a certain size. So, I used the elipse tool using a heart shape, dragged it across the part I needed to include, went to the "transform" tab and added the height and width I needed. I used "mm" and Photo took care of the rest.

This didn't work as planned, I printed the selection on a transparent background and the image was probably 20% the size it needed to be. I am pretty sure that the problem I have is that I don't have a complete understanding of the whole resolution/size/format aspect of editing. 

I suppose the problem is that I must alter the size of the document depending on the size the picture is gonna be printed? I used the default setting for document size, the pic having been taken with a m4/3 camera. Then I printed the picture (have had it printed, actually) on 10x15. I have the feeling that in order to have a 55 x 55 mm picture (the size I need the selection to be) I should have printed it on a larger format or that I should've resized the document before getting to work on it.

In short, how do I get the 55 x 55 mm selection I make on screen to correspond to a 55 x 55 mm printed image?

Many thanks and sorry for asking something so basic.

• Staff

Hi Mastropiero :)

There are a few factors at play here, firstly the DPI of the document - what is yours set to currently? Usually 300 DPI is used when printing.

Secondly, the physical size of the paper you're printing on shouldn't matter, it's the Scaling option in the Print Dialog that's important.

I've attached a quick screen recording below showing the DPI of my document, and the printing options that need to be set. I then test printed the document and confirmed the physical size of 55mm x 55mm on the print-out.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi Mastropiero :)

There are a few factors at play here, firstly the DPI of the document - what is yours set to currently? Usually 300 DPI is used when printing.

Secondly, the physical size of the paper you're printing on shouldn't matter, it's the Scaling option in the Print Dialog that's important.

I've attached a quick screen recording below showing the DPI of my document, and the printing options that need to be set. I then test printed the document and confirmed the physical size of 55mm x 55mm on the print-out.

I hope this helps!

Dan, many thanks for that, it does help a bit and it would certainly solve the problem if I printed my pics at home, unfortunately I don't so I took the file to the lab for printing. Does this mean I have to tell them that they must pay attention to the scaling option when printing? I doubt it, I would assume they'd do it by default, or would they? Haven't got a clue.... I am assuming the mistake comes from my end but I am failing to see it.

By the way, resolution was set at 360 DPI. 

• Staff
11 hours ago, Mastropiero said:

Does this mean I have to tell them that they must pay attention to the scaling option when printing? I

The scaling option by default is 100% - but it's always worth checking before printing.

Try changing the document to 300 DPI - does this resolve the issue for you?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!