You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What laptop should I be looking at for the affinity apps?

Hello guys,

This is my first time on the forum and I was looking around for an answer for my question but couldn't find anyone asking the same question. 

I have been trying to decide between the hp envy x360https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-x360-15-ds0002na-convertible-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-processor-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-15-6-inch-full-hd-nightfall-black/p4243485 and the dell Inspiron 7000 https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-15-7000-2-in-1/spd/inspiron-15-7590-se-2-in-1-laptop/bn71902 (both 15') and was just wondering what would be best in terms of graphic design. 

I was wondering wether I need the extra GPU power of the Inspiron would be worth it as appose to the Rx Vega 10 integrated graphics of the envy and if it would make affinity run smoother or I would see a noticeable performance increase. 

It is just so hard to pick between the 2 and I can't decide. I am just starting a graphic design course at collage btw. 

Also keep in mind the Inspiron does not come with a pen and has to be bought sepretly whereas the hp does

• Staff

Hi Jacob_b,

Welcome to the forums :)

It's company policy that we can't recommend specific systems, my apologies, but other users on the forums may be able to for you.

I suggest checking out the below thread, where I've outlined some basic specs for Affinity and other users have added with their own knowledge - 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 8/31/2019 at 9:39 AM, Jacob_b said:

Hello Dan thanks for replying hopefully someone in the community will be able to see this and help I understand it's company policy thank you for the link to the thread it's very helpful :)

Hi, how about jacob, look I would keep the laptop dell, it has a good processor and enough ram memory, I use the dell brand and it has been excellent for my design work, and with Affinity products I am doing very well.

Greetings.

Not a fan of anything HP, their support is awful. I have, and have had Dell laptops and never been disappointed, they have been reliable and smooth to run apps. My partner is currently using a 17" Dell P32E and she thinks it's great.

Personally, I go for the Dell.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

28 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Not a fan of anything HP, their support is awful. I have, and have had Dell laptops and never been disappointed, they have been reliable and smooth to run apps. My partner is currently using a 17" Dell P32E and she thinks it's great.

Personally, I go for the Dell.

3 hours ago, Axel foly said:

Hi, how about jacob, look I would keep the laptop dell, it has a good processor and enough ram memory, I use the dell brand and it has been excellent for my design work, and with Affinity products I am doing very well.

Thanks guys this is very helpful :)

i have already purchased my laptop thou as I am now starting collage again and I went with the dell

Glad I went with the right choice and thank you all so much!