You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beginning color and brightness

I have notice when I open my raw files in Affinity Photo, they are much darker than they are in Adobe Bridge and in Photoshop. They also appear much darker than they appear on my camera view. I'm wondering if I have a setting or preference set wrong. 

I have attached two screen shots. Nothing has been done to either photo except to open them in Affinity and Photoshop. You can see the difference in the brightness and color. The Photoshop clip better represents what was captured in the camera.

Can anyone make suggestions or have you noticed this and what did you do?

Thanks,

Joe

post-11219-0-50408300-1434231527_thumb.jpg
post-11219-0-12398700-1434231531_thumb.jpg

Joe

aka MacMac to 9 Grandchildren

I have seen this also, but some of it depends upon your settings in the Develop Assistant. And, while I am not sure exactly what the developers were thinking, I believe they worked on the assumption that APB should so as little to your image as possible and let you make the changes you wish.

There was some discussion on this forum some time ago about what adjustments APB should make when a raw image is opened with some users wanting minimal adjustments and some wanting more extensive adjustments. It appears that perhaps the minimalists won, but you do have a fairly large number of tools to use to adjust it as you wish.

Interesting. I'm not sure I completely understand. I would think you would want to see what you captured. In other words, even though the shot is in RAW, I still tried to capture the shot close to what I wanted it to be.

Joe

This is determined by whether or not the Assistant is set to open in the Develop persona.  It sounds as if yours is at "Close".  If you choose to have it open, there are sliders to set Histogram stretch and Exposure bias to where you prefer.

It's your choice as to whether or not to use the Assistant.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Hi biltils,

Thanks for the info. I am opening in Develop persona.  Look more at the assistant to see about settings. I did look at them but I guess I haven't figured them out completely. 

Joe

This is determined by whether or not the Assistant is set to open in the Develop persona.  It sounds as if yours is at "Close".  If you choose to have it open, there are sliders to set Histogram stretch and Exposure bias to where you prefer.

It's your choice as to whether or not to use the Assistant.

The histogram of the photo are very different in the two programs. I'm not sure how to change the setting to achieve what I feel is more consistent with what the histogram in camera looks like. I have attached to jpgs showing the difference in the histograms of Affinity and Photoshop. Can you suggest setting changes?

post-11219-0-62837600-1434278120_thumb.jpg

post-11219-0-06436600-1434278123_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Joe

Interesting. I'm not sure I completely understand. I would think you would want to see what you captured. In other words, even though the shot is in RAW, I still tried to capture the shot close to what I wanted it to be.

I should first say that I tend to agree with your comments. That is, I would expect that APB would open a raw image in a state as close to what I saw when I captured it as possible and and, in my view, APB did this much better before the developers re-worked the raw converter part of the software. The new functionality does seem to allow a much greater range of adjustments and a much better final image state, but you do have to do some work to get to it. As it is currently designed APB reminds me a bit of PhotoLine in that it presents a minimally adjusted raw image and I have to do some basic work to get the histogram balanced across its range to get the image to look like I want.

You should try different settings in the Develop Assistant and see what is best for you. As for myself, the first thing I do when I load a raw image into APB is go to the Tones Panel and adjust the Curves setting until I have something that looks like what I want. Only then do I go to the other raw settings and adjust such things as the Exposure, Shadows and Highlights. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there was considerable discussion concerning what APB should do to a raw image when it is opened. Some posters wanted it to do virtually nothing to allow the users to adjust it from it original raw condition to a state they wanted. Others, like you (and myself) wanted something approaching a balanced histogram and similar to what was shown on the camera's lcd when the image was taken. This was the developer's compromise. You might wish to post a thread in the Features forum asking for an option to set the image to a more balanced histogram setting. As for myself, I have to admit that my usual processing workflow starts with either CaptureOne or Dxo Optics Pro and uses APB as an external editor, so mostly my raw images are pre-adjusted before they open in APB.

Certainly not all and I do often load images directly into APB to do adjustments, but when I have large numbers of photos, as when I return from a trip, I typically use my workflow tools as raw converters and then use APB to make those adjustments my workflow tools cannot.

This can be more complex than it seems at first.  Some things to consider include that there is no absolute "right" end point - it's the one that suits your taste best.  Be aware that what you see in the camera's lcd is a small, low res jpeg - I don't bother even looking at it except at the start of a shoot when I want to check the histogram, not the image.   It In the early stages of using AP, I would do quite a lot of preliminary editing in ViewNX 2 (I have a Nikon - substitute the S/W from your camera manufacturer here!), and then fine tune in AP.  Now I tend to do very little editing before going to AP, because if AP is part of your editing workflow then you can arrive at the same end-point by several paths, and it's simpler that way (at least for me).  This works better for me for other reasons too - using the "Show clipped" tools and Tones > Curves gets most of what is needed done quickly, leaving Photo persona for the fine detail or fancy stuff.

Bottom line is I'd suggest that you take Mike's advice:  "You should try different settings in the Develop Assistant and see what is best for you".

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.