You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Colour Management Q's

I know there have been other questions about this, but I haven't managed to work this out with the other answers. This could well be me not understanding how the colour management works.

I have the release version of Publisher, Windows 10 64bit. I have a calibrated display and Windows has that .icm colour profile set via its colour management.

I have 2 scenarios that I can't figure out.

1) I produce PDF documents that will be looked at on screen only. Most likely via Acrobat Reader, or Preview or similar. In Publisher I have my colour format set to RGB/8 and my colour profile set to sRGB and Convert.

When I export the PDF, the colours do not match the document in Publisher. They are generally more saturated. 

As part of this process I will normally download photos from a stock library or elsewhere online and add into the document. Once in the document they do not look the same way they did when I viewed them in my browser (Chrome). But the  exported PDF (which looks more saturated) will match almost exactly what I saw in my browser.

So it feels like everything matches up in the end - the original image as viewed online, to the PDF is perfect. But whilst working in Publisher, the colours are off.

2) Possibly part of the same issue - If I want to match a brand colour, I take the colour picker in Publisher, move it over to a logo or image in the browser and select a colour. But the end result in publisher looks completely different. Even if I put in the RGB numbers it doesn't match.

I thought this might be because Chrome isn't colour managed, but apparently it is now. And I'm on the latest version.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Staff

Hi jshaw3001,

Welcome to the forums :)

Affinity apps convert colours from document colour profile to screen colour profile, meaning if you have a different profile set against your monitor than you have set in Affinity the app will try to account for this, however we've seen certain conversions don't work as expected if there's a corruption in the colour profile.

Could you please upload a copy of the .icc profile in use by your monitor, and a screenshot of your Affinity settings under Preferences>Colour?

If you follow the steps in the following post, do your colours In document match the colours of your exported document?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi jshaw3001,

Welcome to the forums :)

Affinity apps convert colours from document colour profile to screen colour profile, meaning if you have a different profile set against your monitor than you have set in Affinity the app will try to account for this, however we've seen certain conversions don't work as expected if there's a corruption in the colour profile.

Could you please upload a copy of the .icc profile in use by your monitor, and a screenshot of your Affinity settings under Preferences>Colour?

If you follow the steps in the following post, do your colours In document match the colours of your exported document?

Thank you for responding to this.

Having followed the steps in the linked topic I can confirm that using a standard sRGB profile in Windows Colour Management works for me. The colours are as I would expect, red is no longer orange, and exports are as expected. So there must be an issue with my profile. I have attached it as you requested. This is the latest version from the Benq website.

PV270.icm

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know! Unfortunately I don't have the resources here to test/repair this colour profile. I recommend contacting BENQ directly, or alternatively set up a manual colour profile using hardware calibration (if possible!)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

50 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately I don't have the resources here to test/repair this colour profile.

For what very little it is worth, ColorSync Utility > Profile First Aid on my Mac doesn't find any issues with this profile.

1006517406_BenQprofileinfo.jpg.b5ce5e97b13bec84572df0491a842692.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7