You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity apps in different versions

As far as I've seen, after version 1.7 each installed Affinity app shows up as a persona when I open any file but how will that work if I happen to have different versions of the apps, e.g. Designer 1.7 and Publisher 1.8?

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

• Staff
2 hours ago, Leonardo Pessoa said:

but how will that work if I happen to have different versions of the apps, e.g. Designer 1.7 and Publisher 1.8?

The studiolink and edit in will detect the version of other apps installed and only function if they understood (by the software) to be file compatible. So in your example they will each work independently, but the StudioLink option in Publisher 1.8 will insist that Designer is updated to a compatible version if it thinks 1.7 is not compatible. The functional determination of inter-program "compatibility" is being designed at the moment.

For now you can assume 1.8.x Publisher will need 1.8.n Designer to enable StudioLink but in practice it may be more flexible than that if file format has not changed.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon