You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No architectural-ratio drawing scale in Designer?

No architectural-ratio drawing scale in Designer? 
I'm new to Designer and have used Corel for years to draw a number of projects using scaling (Ex. 1/4 inch = 1 foot) to accomplish it in order to print it out on letter sized paper. 
Besides myself, but how does anyone use this application do any modeling for 3-D printing, sign making, plot drawings for land, etc, etc, - which are a snap to do in Corel? 
Maybe I need to go back to Corel?

Am I missing where the feature is, or has Affinity really ignored an important market segment?

I've experienced the same problem in Adobe Illustrator. 

One work-around is to draw in 1 : 72 scale. Set your ruler units to picas. Set up your document grid to show major divisions at 1 pica with 12 subdivision. If it's necessary to show your final work at 1/4" scale (1 : 48), select all of your final drawing and apply the appropriate scale factor – in this case, 1.5x (72 ÷ 48 = 1.5). It's not a perfect solution, but at least you can work with a snapping grid and your brain can easily translate picas to feet, and points to inches.

A related work-around, if your working in metric units, would be to set up your document grid with major divisions at 1 centimeter with 10 subdivisions.

The other work-around for imperial units (feet and inches) is to use the Grids and Axes Manager to set up a document grid where the major grid divisions are equal to your scale unit (1/4", 1/2", or whatever) with 12 subdivisions. This approach lets you snap lines and objects to an appropriately scaled grid, but the drawback is that you cannot enter values in the length, width, or height fields that correspond neatly to scaled inches.

Amazing! I was just thinking about this last night. 

I think adding scale options to the Transform Studio would be great. It could be set as Default, but with options to change it based on typical Imperial or Metric architectural scales. Displaying the actual size of the object, say 1.5in, as well as the scaled size, say 6ft, in the panel would be a life changer for Designer. 

I am an environmental graphic designer so I have to draw in scale every day. I currently use Adobe CC at work with the CAD Tools plugin (Hot Door).

I hope to see something like this implemented in the future! Would be a great add.

21 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I've experienced the same problem in Adobe Illustrator. 

One work-around is to draw in 1 : 72 scale....

Thanks, Mark.  Good suggestion, but the problem is that I am drawing in US dimensions for architectural and plot drawings and being accurate on exact feet/inches is important.
I am really good at it in Corel, and even Affinity predecessor, Serif DrawPlus, had the Scale in it's Tool Options - but they left it out of Affinity.
This is so critical for me that I may have to go back to Corel.

9 hours ago, Jedidiah23 said:

Amazing! I was just thinking about this last night. 

I think adding scale options to the Transform Studio would be great....

I hope to see something like this implemented in the future! Would be a great add.

Thanks for the comments, Jedidiah.
I had been using the scale in SerifDraw Plus, so when Serif switched to Infinity, it was an automatic assumption that they would keep the same features they had and improve on others.  It's funny, I liked DrawPlus a lot, because it was so much like Adobe Illustrator, while being a little more elementary.

Anyway.... Hey Affinity:  Where is our Scale/Tools Option??  Please and Thanks!

• 1 year later...

The scale factor would be a BIG help. I have been using Corel since V3. Now retired and using Afinity to teach with. Did same as Jedidiah23 The creation and manipulation of text is still so good with Corel but the program has some bloat as far as I am concerned. Afinity will get better. ( plus on the mac Afinity works)

• 1 year later...

I am also struggling with scale,  I had AffinityDesigner  setup in mm  and drew my design to laser cut (vectors)  and next day when I loaded it to continue working , it is back in pixels.

I changed it back to mm but it is out of scale and can't find any way to scale back exactly the way it was.