You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7 Upgrade - Is there a "Best" type scenario to keep settings??

Greetings,

Been somewhat concerned with the number of threads pertaining to upgrade issues - especially the previous settings, assets etc being lost. I have yet to upgrade because of all the dramas dotted through the forum.

Is there a "best type" practice to make sure everything is there on the upgrade? Certainly DO NOT want to have to re-install everything!!

I know that perhaps you can copy (or backup) the appdata folder from C:\users, but are the 1.6 files there compatible with 1.7?? Is this just a cut and past option?

There is also the export function form each individual panel. Thing is...I'm no expert so I am NOT certain what panel exports are required for both Photo and Designer. Does anyone have the full list for both? I know there are brushes, macros, keyboard shortcuts to name a few, but can someone please point me to a full list for both.

I sure hope in future Serif is going to make this a much easier option (like create an export / import macro or something) that makes this a single file event.

Thanks for the assistance...

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

I am not sure if the 1.7.1.404 versions that are current have fixed the 1.7.0 problems that caused loss of settings (nor, actually, how many different problems there were).

Certainly it would help to backup %appdata%\Affinity\<application, either Photo or Designer>\1.0\user and %appdata%\Affinity\<application>\1.0\workspaces

Or, to be safe, just make a copy of the complete %appdata%\Affinity\<application>\1.0 directories.

You also should recognize that the 1.7 release version will not carry over any settings you made in 1.7 beta. The beta and release versions are separate. All you should expect is that the 1.7 update should not lose any of your 1.6 settings.

I don't have a full list of the different places to export/import things from within the applications; sorry. Perhaps someone else can help with that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I am not sure if the 1.7.1.404 versions that are current have fixed the 1.7.0 problems that caused loss of settings (nor, actually, how many different problems there were).

Certainly it would help to backup %appdata%\Affinity\<application, either Photo or Designer>\1.0\user and %appdata%\Affinity\<application>\1.0\workspaces

Or, to be safe, just make a copy of the complete %appdata%\Affinity\<application>\1.0 directories. 

You also should recognize that the 1.7 release version will not carry over any settings you made in 1.7 beta. The beta and release versions are separate. All you should expect is that the 1.7 update should not lose any of your 1.6 settings.

I don't have a full list of the different places to export/import things from within the applications; sorry. Perhaps someone else can help with that.

Hey Walt,

Really appreciate you taking the time to post.

Thankfully I waited until the 1.7.1.404 came out and I can happily say I upgraded without issue. Everything seems to be working as expected and now I have all the new features to unravel.

I did make a complete copy of the folders you mentioned.

In that folder you mentioned there is one called "1.0 (beta)". I am assuming this is the settings folder for the beta and that I can simply delete it as I'm no longer using the beta.

Again...very much appreciated. Regards :)

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

8 hours ago, Gradient_Phil said:

In that folder you mentioned there is one called "1.0 (beta)". I am assuming this is the settings folder for the beta and that I can simply delete it as I'm no longer using the beta.

There will be another beta. If you keep that folder your settings from this beta should carry over to the new one. If you delete it you'll start over from scratch if you install the new beta, as though you had pressed Ctrl to do a reset while starting the program.

The decision is yours, of course :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

26 minutes ago, Gradient_Phil said:

Are you meaning another beta for say 1.8??

That, eventually, but first there will probably be betas for 1.7.2, 1.7.3, etc.

-- Walt
PC: