You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP for Mac question. Best place to purchase?

Is it better to purchase Affinity Photo from the Serif website or just get it through the App Store? Any issues with updating or getting new updates in a timely manner from Apple's App Store?

I'm ready to purchase but I'm not sure the best way. When I bought Designer a week ago I did it through the App Store but I had to tinker around with the App Store to get it to show the 2.7.1 update.

Thanks for your insight into this matter.

Hi MarshallHarrison,

I am an old user of Serif applications, Design & Photo and at that time distribution was only on Apple Store.

I did not have other option at that time and I wish Serif will make it possible to move the MAS purchase to a Affinity Store product key.

MAS versions are easy to upgrade and restore but personally I would prefer to by directly to Serif.

Anyway I am very happy with these applications.

Regards,

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

I prefer the App Store because it is simpler to keep the majority of my purchases in one place and download them to new computers as the time comes, as well as providing a more consistent interface for updating all the various apps from across different developers.  It also eliminates the need to keep track of and enter a product key.

The downside is that there is no way to re-download an older version of the app from the store if you want to roll back and don't have a backup copy.  Some people have been bitten by that recently.  If you purchase the app from the Serif web store they can provide the older versions after the fact.