You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush tool limited in size

Just installed the latest Beta this morning.

The Paint Brush tool is limited to a size of max. 1024 pixels diameter. Any reason for this?

When I want to lighten some shadow areas in my images i.e. with the Levels tool, a size of 1024 pixels is a joke for images of 13.200 x 8.800 pixel dimensions. I mean I can make a mask for it, but there is a difference in the softness compared to a larger brush size. A large brush size of 2048 pixels does have a softer edges (hardness set to 0) than painting with 1024 brush size, where the soft edge is only 50% compared to the soft edge of the larger brush.

Makes sense what I mean?

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

hi andy,  photoshop is now at 5000px max brush size and i see myself often using brushes larger than 2000px  so bigger is better. some of us are also working on compositions which are far beyond the dimension of a camera file.    another case for much larger brushes is that you can better paint  fine gradients. 

For huge areas you can use the marquee tool and set the soft edge to 1024 pixels. If you are working on 'compositions', you can use Affinity Designer with vector tools. The advantage of vector drawings is the you can scale them as large as you want.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.