You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking layers while working in CMYK doesn't mask fully

Using a mask layer while working in CMYK does not mask the layer fully.. It leaves a faint visible image when I try to fade away the edges of a layer. The edges are also visible when exporting the image. 

I was using an image file and applied a mask to it. I also tried to rasterize it but it made no difference. The odd thing is that when I paint over the actual image with black but not the mask, I can cover the image fully. But with this technique I might accidentally paint black color to other areas of the picture as shown in the video.

This same problem occurs on the iPad version too. I am using version 1.7.0 on both devices but this (bug?) was present on earlier versions too. Working in sRGB doesn't have this issue.

Am I not using the tools correctly or is this a bug?

• Staff

Hi tuubor,
I will pass this to the dev team. Seems Affinity is not using pure black for the mask when working with CMYK. Do the following: go to the Colour panel, click the small menu icon on the top right and select Sliders. In the dropdown on the top right on that panel set it to CMYK then set the K slider to 255 or 100 (depending on the  8bit/percentage setting you have enabled in the colour panel menu) and the other sliders to 0 (zero). Paint in the mask - it should now do it properly.