You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-Destructive Photo Grey Scale Filter

Is it possible to apply a non-destructive grey scale filter to photos. I regularly produce a publication where every photo (~30 per issue) is set in native colour, then each converted to grey scale as the press printing is only black & white.

Subsequently, I remove the grey scale filter for each photo as the publication is then made available on-line in colour.  This workflow is an absolute doddle in PagePlus using the PhotoLab tool but I cannot see any equivalent facility in Publisher.

I've also looked to see if there is an equivalent in Aff Photo but cannot see how to achieve it there either.

This is a deal breaker for me to consider porting these publications over from PagePlus to Publisher.  Ta.

8 hours ago, Warwick X said:

Is it possible to apply a non-destructive grey scale filter to photos. I regularly produce a publication where every photo (~30 per issue) is set in native colour, then each converted to grey scale as the press printing is only black & white.

Subsequently, I remove the grey scale filter for each photo as the publication is then made available on-line in colour.  This workflow is an absolute doddle in PagePlus using the PhotoLab tool but I cannot see any equivalent facility in Publisher.

I've also looked to see if there is an equivalent in Aff Photo but cannot see how to achieve it there either.

This is a deal breaker for me to consider porting these publications over from PagePlus to Publisher.  Ta.

Hello @Warwick X,

welcome to the forum. Maybe I am not quite understanding what you mean with 'grey scale filter'. Please try the following:

1. Select the photo you want to process.
  2. From the menu select 'Layer > New Adjustment > Black & White'. This turns a photo into a black and white photo.

Is this what you are looking for?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 hours ago, Warwick X said:

a non-destructive grey scale filter to photos. I regularly produce a publication where every photo (~30 per issue) is set in native colour, then each converted to grey scale as the press printing is only black & white.

There are different ways to make images appear in grayscale on print.

1.) Ignoring:
Just send the color PDF to the printer and let its software do the conversion to grayscale.

2.) Easy:
in PDF Export Options select a Grayscale color profile.
421455767_grayscaleexportprofile.jpg.8fe82ddebed04695d5a308f6cd41c2df.jpg

3.) Easy & with preview:
In your Document Setup select "Gray/8" as working color space. This switches every object color in your complete .afpub to grayscale only. Do the export with document color space.
1406173874_grayscaledocumentprofile1.jpg.374e3d2e677c4e84890a3f76502cf996.jpg

4.) Complex with quality:
With those methods above you have no design influence on single image color conversion. To get the best grayscale contrast for images individually you need to use the B&W adjustment as dominik mentioned already. But this way your PDF would still contain color images (with RGB or CMYK color profile) – just without saturation. Means: if you have to get 1-color-channel-only images then an adjustment effect wouldn't do the trick.

Unfortunately very pity:
AfPub ignores B&W adjustment (4.) when working in grayscale document color space (3.) or (2.) export with grayscale profile AND gray color format.

5.) Least usefull: If you click, with an image selected, in menu tool bar the button "K-only" then it results in printing color K only with Grayscale color profile for such images. Means: the pdf contains grayscale images with 1-color-channel only. Any other element (text, strokes etc) still appear in color.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks v much for both replies.

Thomaso - your suggestions completely resolve the problem as far as I can see.  Much appreciated.

Dominik - just FYI, I had tried 'Layer > New Adjustment > Black & White'  before posting but found that not only is it irreversible later in the process as needed but, more worryingly, it gives completely wrong facial tones.  But thanks anyway,

Cheers both.  W.

1 hour ago, Warwick X said:

I had tried 'Layer > New Adjustment > Black & White'  before posting but found that not only is it irreversible later in the process as needed but, more worryingly, it gives completely wrong facial tones.

An adjustment is reversible to get full color again by unchecking its adjustment layer in the Layers panel.

"Wrong facial colors": the B&W adjustment enables you to get a better gray color contrast for every image individually. It is not much useful in default setting. To achieve a natural appearance you need to use the sliders, separately, to enlighten or darken particular color areas. (adjusted slider settings often look like an S-curve). – Much work? It depends on the grayscale output quality you feel ready to go for.

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

There are different ways to make images appear in grayscale on print.

1.) Ignoring:
Just send the color PDF to the printer and let its software do the conversion to grayscale.

2.) Easy:
in PDF Export Options select a Grayscale color profile.
421455767_grayscaleexportprofile.jpg.8fe82ddebed04695d5a308f6cd41c2df.jpg

3.) Easy & with preview:
In your Document Setup select "Gray/8" as working color space. This switches every object color in your complete .afpub to grayscale only. Do the export with document color space.
1406173874_grayscaledocumentprofile1.jpg.374e3d2e677c4e84890a3f76502cf996.jpg

4.) Complex with quality:
With those methods above you have no design influence on single image color conversion. To get the best grayscale contrast for images individually you need to use the B&W adjustment as dominik mentioned already. But this way your PDF would still contain color images (with RGB or CMYK color profile) – just without saturation. Means: if you have to get 1-color-channel-only images then an adjustment effect wouldn't do the trick.

Unfortunately very pity:
AfPub ignores B&W adjustment (4.) when working in grayscale document color space (3.) or (2.) export with grayscale profile AND gray color format.

5.) Least usefull: If you click, with an image selected, in menu tool bar the button "K-only" then it results in printing color K only with Grayscale color profile for such images. Means: the pdf contains grayscale images with 1-color-channel only. Any other element (text, strokes etc) still appear in color.

Thanks @thomaso for your in depth answer. Helpful to me, too :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Grand.  Thanks again.  Always happy to learn!

Incidentally, I don't think I came across any your above info when trawling through the Help files prior to the original post.  Perhaps we'd all benefit from them being augmented somewhat?

Cheers.

It would be too much for the help. - The Help does explain the user interface and its functions. The Help does not explain connections between possible actions or even technologies outside the app. Teaching "why one wants or uses or needs which setting to get what result" would greatly increase the help and force it to include tons of hyperlinks (since a question and / or action or setting often affects quite a few others).

P.S.: especially the subjects Color Spaces and PDF are worth to become read via books, online articles or tutorials. And, of cause, also try & error and comparing results does help to understand such things.