You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using HSL Adjustment

Obviously, I’m doing something wrong.  The first image shows a tower with a number of windows.  I would like the windows to be lit yellow.  I selected the windows and copied them to a new pixel layer.  I selected the HSL Adjustment.  See second image.  I can’t seem to get any colour to show in the windows.  Any suggestions please,  Thanks

4A6F92CB-AF2D-49AB-B174-A295F0F86B90.png

1B2F4DA3-2631-47A5-85E2-9646FCF2E0FB.png

Cover the windows with a yellow rectangle and set the blend mode of the rectangle layer to ‘Multiply’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

44 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Cover the windows with a yellow rectangle and set the blend mode of the rectangle layer to ‘Multiply’.

So your saying that HSL Adjustment is the wrong tool?

I put a rectangle yellow rectangle around the windows but they came out different shades of yellow.  I would like them to be the same shade.

7C5498C6-46EE-440C-8E34-8E510820C637.png

30 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

So your saying that HSL Adjustment is the wrong tool?

Yes. An HSL adjustment won’t affect anything which is pure black or pure white.

I put a rectangle around the windows but I don’t know how to make it yellow.

When I said “Cover the windows” I meant you should put the rectangle on top. You can put it underneath the window layer, but either way the blend mode must be applied to the upper layer.

’Multiply’ blend mode makes the darker colour take precedence, so a black and white layer blended with a yellow layer will make the white parts turn yellow but leave the black parts unchanged.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Yes. An HSL adjustment won’t affect anything which is pure black or pure white.

When I said “Cover the windows” I meant you should put the rectangle on top. You can put it underneath the window layer, but either way the blend mode must be applied to the upper layer.

’Multiply’ blend mode makes the darker colour take precedence, so a black and white layer blended with a yellow layer will make the white parts turn yellow but leave the black parts unchanged.

I did put the rectangle on top.  So your saying this method is not going to give me consistent yellow windows.  Is there another approach, perhaps one that doesn’t blend colours with the lower level?Thanks.

2 hours ago, Engine44 said:

this method is not going to give me consistent yellow windows

You didn’t start with consistent white windows! ;)

If you want the same yellow everywhere, go back to the selection that you made. Instead of copying the selected pixels to a new layer, delete them to leave holes for the yellow layer to show through.

Alfred spacer.png

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

You didn’t start with consistent white windows! ;)

If you want the same yellow everywhere, go back to the selection that you made. Instead of copying the selected pixels to a new layer, delete them to leave holes for the yellow layer to show through.

I will use the cutout method but isn’t possible to place an opaque yellow layer on top of the windows?  No blending would occur. Thanks.

This is my first photo composition using AP. Do you have any suggestions for improvement?  Thanks.

28AA95E2-E7F5-41FE-AFF8-95FF6780AD3A.png