You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone,

First the program is wonderful and I'm really happy of my purchase.

I'm resuming this thread hoping to get some help regarding Calculations and Equations.

I'm at my first steps in photo editing and in order to achieve a decent black and white effect on photoshop I've been using Calculations method. Usually I pick two channels from the same source (red and blue for example) and multiply them resulting in a new channel (it becomes black and white) which then I copy and paste as a new level.

Now I'm sure that I can obtain the same result with the Equation or some other features, fact is I admit I'm not totally aware of what I'm actually doing to the channels (why do they end becoming B&W?) so maybe someone can help me to shed some light on this. Basically I'd like to be able to multiply some rgb channels and paste the result as a b&w level on the main photo. I'm sorry for the long post but I could'nt find a better way to express what I want to achieve.

Thank you in advance for your help and again I'm very happy with the software.

EDIT: I was able to find a solution that doesn't involve using Equations:

As soon as I select a channel I can right click on it and select "create a greyscale level" (I'm using the italian version of the program so I'm not sure that the command name is the same). Doing this I can create two separate levels which I can then multiply and unify into one. By doing this I can Achieve the same effect I had on Photoshop. Note that I tested this on a side by side comparison so I'm quite sure of the result.

I'm very happy that I was able to learn how to do this so quickly and intuitively.

Edited by Zentradis
I found a solution and wanted to share it