You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Couple-o-text functions I'd like to see

Working a bit with text lately left me wondering if these could find themselves to the development plans:

1. Text Art vs Text frame drawing mode should be sticky. I.e., every time I start AD, the icon is set to Art Text rather then the last mode I used.

2. Copy & Past of text styles

3. Text bullets

4. Change the shape of a text box using all the standard drawing tools (node/corner tool etc) so that the text fills the new shape.

5. Vertically align text with top/center/bottom of the shape/box it is in.

6. Be able to change Art Text to Frame Text and vice versa

Some of that will come for Affinity Publisher, next year.

On point 4, you can create a shape with the Rounded Rectangle tool, then use Layer > Convert to Text Frame, and type text into it. You can still use the Node tool to edit its corners. This works with any shape or curve.

Unfortunately the Corner tool doesn't seem to work with shaped text frames. I don't know why not.

On point 6, are you aware you can scale Frame text as if it were Art text using the extra handle in the lower-right corner? And of course you can just create a new text object of the kind you want, and cut-and-paste the text into it.

On point 4, you can create a shape with the Rounded Rectangle tool, then use Layer > Convert to Text Frame, and type text into it. You can still use the Node tool to edit its corners. This works with any shape or curve.

Unfortunately the Corner tool doesn't seem to work with shaped text frames. I don't know why not.

On point 6, are you aware you can scale Frame text as if it were Art text using the extra handle in the lower-right corner? And of course you can just create a new text object of the kind you want, and cut-and-paste the text into it.

Number 6 solution you gave is not really a solution, more like a workaround. :)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Thanks on #4, didn't know that was already possible - handy.

#6 is not really a solution - this is exactly my problem, i often find myself having picked the wrong text box and want to change it. Create new, copy, past, delete old is not really a solution.

How about my #1?   Why is the Text box initialized to Art Text always?  Can that not be "last mode used"?

@Dave:  yay!  I'll drink a beer of your choice to your health today  :lol:

Btw, there are some other areas where tool state persistence could help (export and selection of what to export for example)... hint hint.