You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello.  Apologies in advance if this subject has already been covered, but I have been unable to find anything during my searches.  I am trying to crop a photo in Affinity Photo, to A3 size, which is 297mm x 420mm or ratio 1:1.41.  I have opened up the crop tool and tried to set the dimensions using aspect ration, absolute dimensions and set a custom, but unable to make anything work.  I can't seem to set the exact dimensions I require and when I do set a dimension close to that, I am unable to keep the restrain when resizing the crop.

so I have two questions:  how to set an A3 size and also how to keep it.

jj

• Staff

Hi judy jj :) 

Unfortunately the crop tool doesn't currently function in the way you require it to, when setting Absolute Dimensions in the retail version you cannot resize the crop area and retain the dimensions. However we've redesigned and improved the crop tool in the latest beta version and it now functions as you require! I'd recommend downloading and installing the beta alongside your retail version, copying your document and opening it in the beta and trying the new crop tool, I've included a quick video below of the crop tool in action in the beta -

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I'm so pleased this has been fixed - trying to do anything other than a freehand crop has been driving me up the wall! :D

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad