You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Burn Tool stuck, and won't change to Dodge

The Burn and Dodge tools have been working well on various layers but tonight AffPhoto got stuck on the Burn tool. Even though my tools show that I have chosen (many time over) the Dodge tool, burning continues. When I use the Clone tool from a lighter image to darker image the burn also takes place. I thought it might be the RAM but quit AP and brought it up again and the problem persisted. I'm very careful about layers, etc. so this is not the problem. I see differences but only burning takes place. 

• Staff

Is this happening if you open a new image and do some editing or only on the one document? You can try resetting the app by holding down the CTRL key and opening. Hold the key until a new window appears, now release the key and click Clear.

Have you also checked to make sure the layers blend modes are correct?

Thanks, Lee. Here is what I have done.

1. Opened a AP new doc, placed a tif in it and the Dodge Tool worked fine.

2. Opened AP with CNTL and of course got the Clear User Data. Not wanting to lose anything I deselected all, pressed Clear and then opened the doc in which I had had the problem. Problem still there.

3. Did the same as above but while CNTL down I chose the problem doc to open. Problem still there.

4. Did the same but only checked Clear User Defaults. Problem still there.

5. Did the same but only checked Don't Restore Window and Documents. Problem still there.

Not wanting to reset my Studio or other items in Clear User Data I thought it best to report what I have done thus far. My blend mode is a Normal in the doc.

It appears that it is something in this specific doc. I can make a new doc and drop the data into it but wanted to ask you first. This is a 200+ hand drawn map in great detail and thus I don't want to do something unnecessary. Thanks for further advice.

I thought it best to add a new reply rather than add to the one above.

1. I did drop my layers into a new files and the problem persisted.

2. Among other layers doc has an original layer, i.e., the original Background drawing. It also has a selection above the original, a specific part of the same map adjusted separately to add to the original (snap of my layers below).

3. In the process I discovered that the Dodge worked on my original layer but not on the selection on a separate layer above the original . Thus the problem of only having a burn while using the Dodge must be connected to this added selection. BTW, I'm very careful to be on the proper layer for editing.

4. I'm attaching a snap of my layers with the selection line barely visible in the middle of the snap. Dodge works on the right original but the left only burns although I use the Dodge. You can see that I am attempting to Dodge the heavier hills on the right side of the left selection.

Question: Could it be that the selection contains something that is causing it to burn, or that it simply cannot respond to the selected tool but only to burn?

Selection Left-Orig Right.png

Doc Layers.png