You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird resolution change in Photo - why?

I have worked with a few images (RAW from the start) in AP, imported as 300ppi (I open them via Bridge "open with Affinity photo", so do not go via "new" document within Affinity), and when the first few had been edited and done AP saved these (as tiffs and jpegs), correctly as 300ppi. However, the last two - imported as above, in RAW, 300ppi when edited and saved, AP now converts to 72ppi, WITHOUT me having changed the save settings! Why? I can't even find any preference setting where I can correct this, or decide this myself. Only the "higest quality" - but I want it in highest quality 300 ppi, NOT "highest quality" 72ppi.

Have I managed to change this setting without knowing or is it something in AP? Would really appreciate someone's input. And please don't suggest I "resize" (where AP seems to be using a software enlargement (yeak!). I want, I need, the 300ppi image I load to go steadily through the whole process continuously being 300ppi.

7 minutes ago, FlatCat said:

I have worked with a few images (RAW from the start) in AP, imported as 300ppi (I open them via Bridge "open with Affinity photo", so do not go via "new" document within Affinity), and when the first few had been edited and done AP saved these (as tiffs and jpegs), correctly as 300ppi. However, the last two - imported as above, in RAW, 300ppi when edited and saved, AP now converts to 72ppi, WITHOUT me having changed the save settings! Why? I can't even find any preference setting where I can correct this, or decide this myself. Only the "higest quality" - but I want it in highest quality 300 ppi, NOT "highest quality" 72ppi.

Have I managed to change this setting without knowing or is it something in AP? Would really appreciate someone's input. And please don't suggest I "resize" (where AP seems to be using a software enlargement (yeak!). I want, I need, the 300ppi image I load to go steadily through the whole process continuously being 300ppi.

I just tried the 'resize document' to test, but although I change the image to 300dpi, the then saved tiff file is still 72!! Where can I control the tiff & jpeg export settings? In the 'save as' dialogue box there is no mentioning of what dpi (or ppi) is actualy being saved, as far as I can see.

2 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

This could be a exif data problem, on export under t he more button uncheck " embed metadata " 

Ok, I don't think I have changed that, but I'll check and see if there is a difference. Thanks for quick reply!

51 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

This could be a exif data problem, on export under t he more button uncheck " embed metadata " 

Unchecked metadata but it doesn't change anything. An image that clearly is 300dpi when imported, comes out as a 72dpi tiff when exported. I can see no chances for me to change any tiff settings. And, why this is now different to how the first images were (see first posting for any additional persn who reads this) is a total mystery.

15 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi FlatCat,

Can you attach the file in question?

Here's a tiff I made of the original RAW file. So, originally, this image was 2592x3872 px, 300ppi (even if AP suggests the pixel dimensions are 2616x3896, but it's still pretty close). I have double checked the original RAW file in Photoshop, and it's definitely 300ppi.

TEST2.tiff

Just now, stokerg said:

Can you attach the actual RAW file and not a processed tiff? Just if i log the issue with the tiff file, the Dev team will ask for the original RAW file, so this will save some time :) 

I don't feel totally happy with uploading my RAW file to an open page (that's my original, and I am selling my pictures). If you have a closed page/upload I can send to? However, I am quite sure the issue isn't within the RAW file, it is in the export process within AP. Or even, why does AP change the resolution when the image is going through the software editing process, because that is what seems to be happening. Can I also ask you (since you are staff and know the software indepthly) why - or where, if I've missed it - I can't control, or even see, the resolution of an image within AP during exporting (just as I can see the pixel dimensions)? To compare with Photoshop; there, I can go into the document format and it will clearly state what ppi the image has, and it certainly won't change until I do so myself. In AP, it's just the dialogue box 'resize document'. But fact is, I even tried that; I resized the image under 'resize document' to 300dpi, and then exported, it still came out as 72dpi!

I read in the help section as well, and it seems there should, at least in theory, be a possibility to make your own presets. weirdly, that options does not include the ability to set dpi.

• Staff
1 minute ago, FlatCat said:

it is in the export process within AP.

Which is why we need the original RAW file, i've set up a Dropbox link here so if you can upload the file, i should be able to replicate the issue (let me know which export settings you are using) and i can get it logged with the Dev team :) 

7 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Which is why we need the original RAW file, i've set up a Dropbox link here so if you can upload the file, i should be able to replicate the issue (let me know which export settings you are using) and i can get it logged with the Dev team :) 

Thanks, I saw your respons. As I was checking my RAW file data, I notice that the older versions of DNGs come out as 12 bit, slightly less old as 14 bit. The (for me) newer NEFs are 16 bit. AP seeems to handle either 8 or 16 bits only. Could the issue be related to this at all? That at import, AP converts a 12 or 14 bit image to 8, but at the same time changes the resolution? It still doesn't give any answer to why AP refuses to EXPORT the files in 300dpi. Just trying to think here.....(and failing). I'll upload the file to your link shortly.

29 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Have uploaded the RAW file. Settings for export:

TIFF: Preset RGB 8-bit

Resample: Bilinear

Area: whole doc

JPEG: Preset Best quality

Resample: bilinear

Quality: 100

even after resizing doc to 300dpi inside AP, it still exports as 76dpi...

Tried to change colour profile to Adobe 1998, but still same result...

35 minutes ago, stokerg said:

i should add (if I wasn't clear in my last posting) about the different bit depths, the 16 bit NEF RAW files go through AP fine, and are exported as the 300dpi (both TIFF and JPEG) they were imported as. If that gives some sort of clue to the solution...