Sign in to follow this  
RobWu

Embedding/Linking files question

Hi,

Sorry if this has come up before (did search the forum), but is it so that Designer cannot link files, but instead always embeds them?

I'm working on a Designer file atm, with a bunch of Photoshop images placed in the document.
I received changed Photoshop files (same name), but when I re-open the Designer file the originally placed images don't reflect the changes.
There's also no way -as far as I can find- to refresh the images placed in the documents.

Strange thing is that if I select a placed image, I can select a link or embed option with the 'Replace Image'  button. At least for files like .jpg, .png etc.
Not for the .psd files already in the document unfortunately.

So.. Is this something Designer is not capable of? And is there something coming for this, as the Designer beta has something for this afaik.
This is very much part of a basic workflow, and also the ability to finally go from linked to embedded should be part of this as well.

cheers for any answers or tips!

Rob

Win 10 Pro 1809 - build 17763.348
Designer 1.6.5.135
Photo 1.6.5.135

Only Publisher supports the Link option for placing files. (And at this point all it's useful for is notifying when the original file is changed, and optionally updating it automatically).

Serif has stated that the Link vs Embed option in the replacement dialog for Designer is an error, and it will be removed. But I see it's still in the Beta.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Hi,

Thanks for that!
So for now it's manually replacing all (embedded) files..... That's a shame.
It would be nice to have at least the ability to know and auto update the file(s).

here's hoping on it being added to a future version of Designer. ;)

rob