You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Insert Tree

It's been a long long time since I've been on a Serif forum. This weekend I purchased Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and have spent about 6 hours so far watching tutorials for both. Major impressive.

I am a novice at both photo and design software. I know just enough to get a few things done on my own. Affinity excitedly provides more potential for creativity than I'll ever need. That said I would like to ask for help on the following:

1. Attached are two photos - 'Forest-A' and 'Trail'
  2. In Forest-A on the left side of the dirt path, in the foreground, is a big fat tall tree
  3. I am planning to select and remove that tree; then mirror it horizontally
  4. I then want to place that tree into the 'Trail' photo
  5. I want the tree to be placed on the right, in the foreground, directly to the right of the foreground most dog's tail
  6. The issue is I would like the tree to look as if it is growing up out of the midst of the tall grasses
  7. So, being a novice with both Affinity programs, and an art novice in general, I'm asking for some guidance on the best simplistic way to achieve what I am seeking?

Thanks for helping.

Dekade

Trail.jpg

forest-A.jpg

Edited by Dekade

1. Flip the Tree image so that the tree is on the right side. Arrange > Flip Horizontal
  2. Make sure the tree layer is selected and select Edit > Copy or Cmd + C (Ctrl + C on windows)
  3. Drag the tree image into the Trail image and make sure its on top of the trail image.
  4. Using the eraser Brush Tool, erase anything in the tree layer you don't want.
  5. Turn the tree layer off and select the trail layer and make a selection of the grass to the side of the dogs tail and make a copy Cmd + C and then Paste it using Cmd + V
  6. Tweak the image as you want.

Are those images actual sizes or is the trail image larger than the uploaded version?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for replying firstdefence. I will step through your suggestion.

I downloaded the pictures the other day. I think I did those as a 'right click on image' to obtain a 'Save Image As' from somewhere on the internet. I did not do it from a photo download site. Until you mentioned it I never looked at the picture size. Now I do have a problem. When I zoom in on the picture it is very pixelated. It's over my pay scale :D how to correct those images into something like 1920 x  1280.

29 minutes ago, Dekade said:

Thanks . . . When I zoom in on the picture it is very pixelated. It's over my pay scale :D how to correct those images into something like 1920 x  1280.

Just found an Affinity video tut on resizing images. I will experiment with that.

Edited by Dekade
length of post

You will not get the Trail image to be of any use against the tree image, the trail image is too small but more importantly its not freely downloadable. 

Please respect the photographers copyrights, the trail image is for sale: https://www.stocksy.com/1950461/3-dogs-walking-on-forest-trail there are plenty of websites that allow you to download images with little or no restrictions on use such as Pixabay and unsplash

The Tree image is ok to use: https://pxhere.com/en/photo/66465

You can give a shout back to the photographers if you want but on Pixabay but it's not required. These people give images free of charge which is a nice thing to do.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You will not get the Trail image to be of any use against the tree image, the trail image is too small but more importantly its not freely downloadable . . .These people give images free of charge which is a nice thing to do.

I fully respect your advice and concerns over photographers. Rest assured I will pay attention to your cautions and advice. I would not want it done to me so not doing it to someone else is a no brainer. You evidently had ways to check free vs not free on that particular photo that I didn't have (or at least didn't pay attention to during my searching). By the way how did you check that and find it's link? I can't recall ever being on a webpage called stocksy.com. All I remember is googling a bunch of pictures.

1 hour ago, Dekade said:

I fully respect your advice and concerns over photographers. Rest assured I will pay attention to your cautions and advice. I would not want it done to me so not doing it to someone else is a no brainer. You evidently had ways to check free vs not free on that particular photo that I didn't have (or at least didn't pay attention to during my searching). By the way how did you check that and find it's link? I can't recall ever being on a webpage called stocksy.com. All I remember is googling a bunch of pictures.

Hi Dekade, I just used google search images: https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en and uploaded that image: and it came back with This

Easily done my friend, I was just searching for a larger version.