You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: Symetrical Node Adjustment

Is there a way to adjust nodes symmetrically? Given this:

image.png.1d670660a2c1a4b3ce20073eb1c4fb4d.png

Is there some way to adjust the left and right nodes so they are symmetrical, or is it just a matter of dragging node handles until things look right?

Edited to remove mysterious images.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

1. Select both nodes
  2. go to the Transform Panel and make sure the centre point is selected on the matrix
  3. now adjust the width and or height and the rotation if you want.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

49 minutes ago, firstdefence said:
  1. Select both nodes
  2. go to the Transform Panel and make sure the centre point is selected on the matrix
  3. now adjust the width and or height and the rotation if you want

Thanks. That's very cool and I like what it does, but doesn't quite do what I'd like.

Consider the following:

image.png.096b5f7c9323e1480776972ab7a72e87.png

I'm looking for a way to move the handles rather than the nodes.

I'd like A and C to move in synch; if I move A up 10 px, left 10 px and lengthen it by 10 px , C would move up 10 px, left 10 px and grow 10 px longer.

I'd also like a mode where A and C worked in opposition; if I moved A up 10 px, left 10 px and 10 px longer, C would move down 10 px, right 10 px and grow 10 px shorter.

In the case where A and B are independent, B would work with D as A does with C.

I'd like this to work either by entering pixel offsets or dragging the handle.

Too tall an order ;)?

7 minutes ago, casterle said:

Too tall an order ;)?

lol! at the moment yes I think it is too tall an order, would love to be proved wrong though.

You can have grid snapping on with a grid of say 10px and move the nodes individually but to do that symmetrically it's a no for now.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just now, firstdefence said:

lol! at the moment yes I think it is too tall an order, would love to be proved wrong though.

You can have grid snapping on with a grid of say 10px and move the node individually but to do that symmetrically it's a no for now.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I'm a bit surprised at what they've enabled via the Transform Panel, both with nodes and in terms of Power Duplication (although I hope this moves from transform to a panel more appropriate to the task in the near future).

The grid suggestion is good, I hadn't considered using a finer grid for this.

Even in the mighty illustrator has limitations on moving the handles of the nodes, not sure if Astute Graphics plugin adds better node handle controls for illustrator but regardless, I don't think it's an easy thing to implement else I'm sure Adobe Illustrator would have done it by now.

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Even in the mighty illustrator has limitations on moving the handles of the nodes, not sure if Astute Graphics plugin adds better node handle controls for illustrator but regardless, I don't think it's an easy thing to implement else I'm sure Adobe Illustrator would have done it by now.

Not that I know anything about AD's internals, but this should hot be hard to implement.

All you would need is a panel with input fields for x-offset, y-offset and length-offset. Pressing a button would apply the offsets to the selected handle (and it's corresponding handle) just as if you had dragged it. A checkbox could enable the opposition mode.

Sounds very doable when put like that? I think that would be a good request.