You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Random insert photo from pool of photos

I'm wondering if Affinity has a feature to use a folder of files on my drive as source material and randomly select an image (or choose 'select next') from a pool of photos. Sketch has something like this which allows to basically set a folder full of images and apply an image randomly from that folder. What I'd like to do is have a folder of 'light leaks', a folder of 'blurry background' etc. and just randomly swap out photos or choose the 'next' one in the folder. This way I can make a template file with lots of layers setup for specific tasks and have many projects that share the same qualities (similar to batch processing, but more of a design process). Is there something like this in Affinity Photo (or designer?) Thanks

There is no replacement feature while an image is selected, there is a media browser but you will need to drag and drop the light leaks and blurry images into the photo you want to apply those overlays to.

You could set a group in the layer panel, change the groups blend mode to overlay or similar and drag the light leaks into the group on the layers panel to have the lightleak have a blend mode applied instantly.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The Media Browser on the View menu is Mac-only. It has been removed from the current 1.7 betas & they say it will no longer be supported in future retail versions. As I understand it, the Media Browser is/was based on third party code that enhances the function of the "Media" item on the sidebar built into the Mac OS. The OS level Media item provides apps with access to the libraries of Apple apps like Photos, iPhoto, or Photo Booth. That sidebar item still works for that from within Affinity, but unlike the soon-to-be MIA Media Browser on the View menu, there is no provision to access other files or folders or resize the previews in the browser window.

However, for placing images from those libraries, the OS version works OK, & you can select multiple items in the browser window & they will be placed one at a time in the Affinity document. (It is hard to explain how this works briefly but if you try it, it should be obvious.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

50 minutes ago, jdh1178 said:

I hope they are removing it because they plan to improve it!

No way for us to know for sure, but I think it will not be returning once the 1.7 retail versions are released. Apart from the slider to resize the previews in the browser window, the enhanced version on the View menu doesn't really offer much that the the "Media" item on the sidebar can't already do -- it is easy enough to add folders (or 'smart' folders) to the sidebar for quick access to files not in the few libraries the sidebar Media item provides access to.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7