You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm a new-ish Affinity Designer user, and I love it!  But I need help sorting out some mysteries, as described below. I've attached my file, "house plat 1st floor".

On my house plan, there's an odd section in the upper outline, in the heavier line above and to the right of the label "David's kitchen". What's going on? I tried a couple things to fix it, but was unsuccessful. 

In some places the heavier outline is straight, and in others it's more "freehand" looking. I'm gradually getting more control over drawing lines, but are there any tips on how to always have straight lines when you want them?

And finally...  Since the building is bilaterally symmetrical, I drew the rooms on the right side. Then I copied the right side, pasted, flipped the pasted image, and lined it up to match the right side. Voila! Rooms now appear on the left side also. But now I'm getting odd behavior because half of the artboard seems to have cloned itself, which I didn't expect. Is there any way to fix this? I was assuming the artboard was just the workspace, but maybe it's something else? 

That's enough for now. TIA for any advice.

[Note: I worked on this file in the Affinity Designer 1.7 customer beta. I posted these questions here b/c I don't think they're beta-related, but feel free to move the post if I'm mistaken.]

house plat 1st floor.afdesign

43 minutes ago, >|< said:

careful to not drag a handle out of a node when you click to create that node

Set it to Polygon Mode, no handles to accidentally drag out 161126997_ScreenShot2019-02-08at11_36_45.png.46e93d33fefe5206b83d97720b1cb8b6.png 

Also use the Grids View > Show Grid and make sure snap to grid in checked in the snapping options View > Snapping Manager... 

If you are using a transparent background you will need to change the colour of the grid which you can do with the grid and axis manger... View > Grid and Axis manager... 

For floor plans I don't think a transparent background is necessary so you can change that in File > Document Settings... on the Colour Tab, just uncheck the box next to Transparent Background. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, >|< said:

I said to use Polygon or Line mode instead of the default in the very next sentence.

Missed that my friend sorry, but it doesn't hurt to drill it home lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

19 minutes ago, zenmom said:

How do I get rid of the pixel mask?

Left half of Plat - Select the layer that is Mask and either uncheck it or drag it to the bin