You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop one big batch of RAW images

Hi guys, I'm totally new to Affinity and Raw images. I took some RAW photos on my Nikon Dslr. Never done it before. I'm just starting to learn Affinity and I know how to develop one single Raw image. But I have one whole lot of images that needs to be developed . How do I go about doing it? I tried doing new batch job but all photos came dark. if I did one by one then it would be fine but it';ll be the year 2020 when I finish the lot. :4_joy:

Can anyone  help me out please? P

• Staff

Hi Goray and Welcome to the Forums,

It's very tricky to batch process RAW files at the moment.  As you've found out, you get a very set of dark images.  One possible workaround would be to record a Brightness Macro where you alter the brightness of an image and apply that Macro as part of the batch job.  But again, this might give very mixed results. 

I don't personally know what the plans are for being able to record the Develop Persona as a Macro, which would really help with batch process RAW files but i know it's been suggested before and hopefully this will improve in a future update.

On 1/30/2019 at 11:28 AM, stokerg said:

being able to record the Develop Persona as a Macro, which would really help with batch process RAW files

Realistically even Macros in the Develop Persona would not speed up things greatly or otherwisely bring great benefits.

What would remain is the very long time to open up individual images (ranging from 10 seconds to more than half a minute, depending on RAW-type and machine specs), and Photo also needs a couple of seconds to apply the development. Do this with 20 images (not exactly a "big batch") and even a very powerful machine is busy for 10 minutes. These 20 readily developed images could also not remain opened in Affinity Photo, as this would cause extreme system load.

As at this point in time (1.7)  RAW development even is lossy one can not tweak the initial result of the bulk process in the RAW workspace. So if anything went wrong in your batch process you will have to delete the output files and run the recorded actions again, which will block your machine for equally long time, once again.

The described process merely takes seconds for the same amount of images in most popular RAW processors. The non-destructively applied corrections may get easily tweaked individually and on any number of frames in question. Other programs, such as Photoshop also allow to keep all 20 processed images open, for later layer based compositing.

The current system to handle RAWs in Affinity Photo is flawed from ground up, automation will not help.

• 10 months later...