You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparency gradient of the previous layer, when copied to a new layer, is not moved in relation to the new layer's position

Windows 10 Home 1809, Publisher 1.7.0.227.

I'm not sure if this behaviour is correct or not - so I'm not sure if it's a bug or not - but I'll try and explain what's happening.
I can create some Artistic Text and use the Transparency Tool to give it a transparent gradient. All well and good.
Then I can create another bit of Artistic Text elsewhere the page. However, the transparency gradient of the first bit of text has been copied over to the new text but in exactly the same place as it is in the first text, which means that the transparency gradient no longer covers the second text.
Is this expected behaviour? It took me a while to figure out what was happening when I first saw this.
I've attached a GIF to show what I mean.

transparency-not-moving.gif

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I'm not sure if this behaviour is correct or not - so I'm not sure if it's a bug or not

I see the same thing, it is as though the transparency is stuck on the Artistic Text tool. Rather make that stuck on both text tools. There doesn't seem to be anyway I can remove the transparency either. Bug or oversight but not something I would call useful.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I just did a quick test and the same issue is also evident in Designer, both 1.6.5.123 and the latest 1.7.0.209 beta.
I've also noticed that the transparency gradient is not copied to new shapes or images, only text as far as I can see.

Further testing in Designer 1.6.5.125 shows that if you add a transparency gradient to the first text without specifying the geometry - I.e. with the text selected, go to the Transparency Tool, then select one of the gradient types - and then create a new text layer, the transparency gradient is not copied over to the new text layer. However, if you do change the transparency gradient's geometry then that transparency gradient is copied over. A bit of inconsistency there.

I can't think of any good use-cases where the current behaviour would be useful but, at the same time, I can't come up with a satisfactory way of transferring the transparency gradient over to the new layer because there's no guarantee that the new layer would have the same dimensions/orientation as the previous one. In other words, a transparency gradient is really only useful to the layer it's been applied to.

One way to copy it over would be to make the geometry of the transparency gradient on the new layer as calculated relative to the geometry of the previous layer but I think that sounds 'messy' somehow.

Because a transparency gradient is only really relevant to the layer it's been applied to - it has a very specific geometry that works for that specific layer in the position/orientation that layer is in - I would suggest that it should not be copied to any new layers under any circumstances. That would clear up any confusion about whether it will be copied or not and will also make it more consistent with other types of layer.

Maybe one of the developers could chip in with some comments about this. There's a good chance that I just don't understand why it works the way it does.

Moderators: If this is a bug, please move this thread to the relevant forum.