You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lasso Tool suddenly stops working

Hello!

I've recently been encountering a problem with the lasso and marquee tools. Upon opening the Affinity Photo program with a new image, I am able to use the lasso/marquee tools until I save the image, export the image, or until it just suddenly stops working. The tools will create the shape/follow the mouse until completion, however upon releasing the mouse it will deselect and have no effect.

The mode is always on "new" and I always have the background layer selected however I am still unable to select with any of these tools. Upon researching the problem, I have seen that others have encountered this problem and have fixed it by closing and re-opening the app whilst holding ctrl to remove all saved data. I would be happy to do this if this problem occurred once in a blue moon, however this seems to be happening every editing session, even when I have just completed the ctrl action and it's extremely bothersome.

Is anyone aware of any fixes for this other than holding ctrl and deleting the data? I apologise if this has been posted before and there is an answer, I have only been able to find a single post with this question which has the ctrl restart method.

Thanks in advance!

On 12 January 2019 at 9:24 PM, BradleyM said:

The tools will create the shape/follow the mouse until completion, however upon releasing the mouse it will deselect and have no effect.

When that happens check the Feather setting in the context toolbar

It sometimes jumps to 1024px unexpectedly, reset it to 0px

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 11:28 AM, carl123 said:

When that happens check the Feather setting in the context toolbar

It sometimes jumps to 1024px unexpectedly, reset it to 0px

Thanks so much, Carl! I hadn't even noticed the feather tool jump up! All's perfect now.