You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer destroying document during save. 'file could not be verified'

Twice in the last few months I have pressed Ctrl S only for Affinity Designer to nuke my work.

I would save my work and Affinity has given an error before shutting down completely. It is by far the worst time to ditch someone's work, and makes me wonder whether I should be screenshotting (!) my work before saving, just in case.

I was told via Twitter that this has something to do with using external drives. I'm actually saving to Pcloud, which is a cached local drive. I've never seen another application act like this.

I encountered this first in September, and again one week ago.

Dm53qouX0AI2lJr.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The fact that this bug has been reported for more than a year with no budge makes me worry even more.  

The problem is less about the drive but the fact that Affinity closes/kills the document!! It makes no sense. If a disk is full will it kill my document? If my disk access is slow will Affinity time out and delete my work? The idea that the software is happy to destroy work done is absurd. 

I appreciate that cloud services might make saving non-trivial, but it really should be reasonable that I can choose save without losing my work.