You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A better way to select underneath layers?

Hi there,

I just got an iPad Pro and was so excited to start replacing my Mac & Intuos combo with it using Affinity, but I must say I feel rather disappointed.

If you see my illustrations at xebius.com you can tell the amount of layers on top of layers I need to deal with to get that level of detail.

It’s essential for me to be able to select layers that are underneath without needing to open the layers menu every time. On PS is so simple, you press Cmnd or the button on my Wacom pen and will pop me a window showing all the layers underneath so I can choose. Is any gesture or way to do this on Affinity??

I am not talking of the layers that are underneath on the layer order in the menu, but in fact right underneath on that part of the canvas. It would be awesome having a gesture for this, since is frequent to have a big layer covering a smaller one and you could find it easily, move it on up or down, etc.

Is any way to do this? If not I will have to pass on using this software, I am afraid.

Thanks in advance!

Manuel

Using the Move tool to select layers can be problematic when there are many layers and small objects with multiple layers on top. 

I find if I set the context menu to activate Select Under and Select Inside, I can generally select the layer object of interest to me. Sometimes it helps to zoom in a little for very small objects, but overall not too bad. See screen vid for settings and results. With select Under and Inside, both off you can see that I can only pick the top most layer. With Select Under and Inside turned on, I can now select underlying objects, even small ones.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

9 hours ago, Xebius said:

Is any way to do this?

Hi Manuel :)

As you talking about illustrations, I assume you are using Affinity Designer, although you also mention PS (Photoshop) the equivalent of which is Affinity Photo.

Following on from what @DM1said, it would be worth experimenting with Outline view (Affinity Designer only). That makes it easier to select objects because you can see the hidden layers, and target them more easily by tapping on their outlines.

If you set up Split View (Navigator Studio) you can 'switch' between Outline View and normal Vector view just by dragging the slider from left to right.

outline.jpg.bb5828f40b93408f059b94e83fecc8a6.jpg

split1.thumb.jpg.ca03a476f5e2063ec147bf0dfe56a5a1.jpg

split2.thumb.jpg.fade23341e5e992f9a297b86b2c79852.jpg

Hope that helps.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DM1 and Toltec, 

Sorry for not replying sooner, I didn't get any notification on my mail that I was replied, so I thought nobody did, my apologies. 

Unfortunately I use Affinity Photo, not so much Designer. And it doesn't seem to have this option there, so unfortunately I can't use it. 

It's such a shame something as basic as being able to select layers underneath is simply not possible! I will always select the layer on top (like Autoselection in PS), forcing you to open the layer window everytime to find the layer underneath, it's really makes my flow really slow, so I decided to move to Artstudio where this option is simply there.

Thanks so much for your reply, really appreciated, :)

Manuel