You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sir,

Is there a series of actual affinity tutorials that cover everything for the absolute novice? I know my way round my MAC and am not a fool (I don't think) and tried to follow the tutorial for in-painting  but I must be a bigger fool than I thought, or the tutorials I have seen appear to be missing something.

Please help a novice (or fool) in distress.

Every day is a school day; you can learn something from everyone, even an idiot.

• Staff

Hi v8triker,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Please consider changing your Forum username to something else to prevent spammers from harvesting your e-mail. To do it go here and set a new username or click your username in the top right of this forum's page, select Account Settings, click on the Display Name link on the left and change/set a new username (on the right).

Regarding your question, you can find a list of all available tutorials here:

macOS:

iOS:

The Inpainting Tool only works on pixel layers (look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel). If is says Image, right-click on that layer and select Rasterise. You can then use the Inpainting Tool as in the tutorial. Also make sure the Flow and Opacity in the context toolbar are not set to 0% (usually this value should be 100%).

Image layers are a "special" layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer and Publisher only), the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a pixel layer type which you can then manipulate at a pixel level. Image layers are rasterised using the DPI value set in the Document Setup dialog.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi v8triker,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Please consider changing your Forum username to something else to prevent spammers from harvesting your e-mail. To do it go here and set a new username or click your username in the top right of this forum's page, select Account Settings, click on the Display Name link on the left and change/set a new username (on the right).

Regarding your question, you can find a list of all available tutorials here:

macOS:

iOS:

The Inpainting Tool only works on pixel layers (look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel). If is says Image, right-click on that layer and select Rasterise. You can then use the Inpainting Tool as in the tutorial. Also make sure the Flow and Opacity in the context toolbar are not set to 0% (usually this value should be 100%).

Image layers are a "special" layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer and Publisher only), the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a pixel layer type which you can then manipulate at a pixel level. Image layers are rasterised using the DPI value set in the Document Setup dialog.

Hi again,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Raster or Rasterise or Rasterising?

Thanks,

Every day is a school day; you can learn something from everyone, even an idiot.