You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo V1 (iPad) Tutorials

• Staff

Official Affinity Photo iPad Tutorials

New to the latest update of the app (1.6.9), we've got a brand new set of tutorials that follow a more structured approach. You can access them from the Tutorials option in-app or by following this link:

They are sorted into categories:

Just some quick info about the new videos:

• They're all shot in 4K resolution (supported on desktop machines) for extra clarity.
  • There are localised subtitles for all the languages supported by the app (English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Japanese).

Hope you find them useful!
James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

Just a bump to let you know I've added two new videos to the list: Dodging & Burning and Mask Layer Compositing.

Four more videos will be coming tomorrow so stay tuned!

• Staff

As promised, I've updated the list with four new videos: RGB/CMYK/LAB InterworkingMaking Colours PopChannels and Storing Selections as Channels. Hope you find them useful!

Keep up the great work!

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• Staff

And this week I've added four more videos - LightingGenerating Edge MasksBlend Modes & Blend Ranges and Configuring OpenColorIO. Once again, hope you find them useful!

These are great vids on how the individual parts of the app work, but I've not used Affinity before (have been editing on iPad with Enlight, Snapseed, Superimpose, iColorama etc). I know that a lot of people who have been editing on these simpler apps are buying Affinity now it is available for iPad, and Affinity is not immediately understandable for us - as new users, we aren't simply adding to a pre-existing knowledge of desk top Affinity, but are moving to a whole new way of editing that wasn't available to us before now.

What would really help me (and the many others in the same position) are some tutorials that start with importing a photo and take the viewer step by step through the editing workflow to the final product :) That way I can watch on the Mac, fire up Affinity on the iPad and follow along, and learn things in workflow order which helps me remember them :)

• Staff

These are great vids on how the individual parts of the app work, but I've not used Affinity before (have been editing on iPad with Enlight, Snapseed, Superimpose, iColorama etc). I know that a lot of people who have been editing on these simpler apps are buying Affinity now it is available for iPad, and Affinity is not immediately understandable for us - as new users, we aren't simply adding to a pre-existing knowledge of desk top Affinity, but are moving to a whole new way of editing that wasn't available to us before now.

What would really help me (and the many others in the same position) are some tutorials that start with importing a photo and take the viewer step by step through the editing workflow to the final product :) That way I can watch on the Mac, fire up Affinity on the iPad and follow along, and learn things in workflow order which helps me remember them :)

Thank you for your comments, a video that walks through a typical import-edit-export workflow is definitely worth thinking about - as you say, it would be beneficial for many. In the meantime, I'd recommend checking out the beginners videos for the desktop version (http://affin.co/phototuts) - although the iPad version has a different layout, the concepts explored in those videos remain the same, such as layers, adjustments, filters and so on. But yes, a video that cohesively puts these together would be a good idea.

Thanks again :)

i can highly recommend these tuition vids as well as the official ones

https://www.udemy.com/affinityphoto-solid-foundations/?utm_term=_._pl__._pd__._ti_kwd-218203303938_._kw_affinity%20photo%20course_._&gclid=CIeY1rjRwdQCFbMW0wod4TANmA&matchtype=b&utm_source=adwords&utm_campaign=NEW-AW-PROS-NONP-Affinity-Photo-Broad-EN-ENG_._ci_794572_._sl_ENG_._vi_NONP_._sd_All_._la_EN_._&utm_content=_._ag_course_._ad_184197593443_._de_t_._dm__._lo_1006867_._&utm_medium=udemyads&k_clickid=5e244827-f325-4831-aace-867017e51862_408_GOOGLE_NEW-AW-PROS-NONP-Affinity-Photo-Broad-EN-ENG_._ci_794572_._sl_ENG_._vi_NONP_._sd_All_._la_EN_.__course_affinity%20photo%20course_b_184197593443_t

Hi, great App - love to work on iPad with the ipencil - great work - I just tried to import the .ocio as explained in the vid, but the desktop somehow know the ending, so I'm not able to import ocio data as shown - any idea?

Desktop is on Sierra latest update....

Thanks

• Staff

Hey Epman, did you make sure the OCIO folders were on your iCloud Drive first before adding the .ocio extension? It only seems to convert it to a valid package if they're on cloud storage... (not sure why, will investigate)

James, thanks for the tutorials. They are very professional and useful. I do agree with isharastar above that an extended introductory video for iPad AP would be useful for people coming from the other iOS photo editors: open photo, crop rotate, some basic corrections, clarify, sharpen and save.

Stan

I agree that some basic videos are needed. It is amazing to me how many people have asked me about Affinity Photo for iPad since it debuted. Most are not professional photographers or graphic artists but they are consumers that have a love or passion for the photos that they take and have been using apps like Snapseed and the like. And they are looking for something else, something more robust. But to go from what was available previously on the App store and then find Affinity Photo it must be intimidating at first.

So, it would be very cool James if you could do some beginner tutorials/videos for this segment of people that will be coming over. 

Just wondered if you were going to update Raw Photo Editing after the latest AP update, 1.6.2. I have read so much here and there about importing raw images directly from Photos, I dont know whether I can eliminate that step of transferring them into my icloud drive on my mac or not. Thank you

Rulers & Units of measure:  iPad Pro; just purchased this version.  It is in addition to the desktop for Mac already owned.  Imported image; In the Mac desktop version, rulers & units of measure are available under 'View'.   - Two coffees later and still cannot locate these settings on the iPad version.   Help anyone?  Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Lightspeed41,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no rulers as in the desktop version. You can only enable guides, tapping the document icon on the top of the interface and selecting Guides and the Grid tapping Grid in the same menu. The grid is automatic only - it changes the number of divisions depending on the zoom level. The divisions are based on the document's unit.

Regarding units tap the document menu on top and select Resize, change the units on the bottom of the interface (context toolbar) and tap the checkmark on the right (on the context bar) to set the new units.

So far, Affinity Photo for iPad has been a revelation. I'm a longtime Photoshop user and I am now able to perform image operations on my iPad Pro with iCloud Photo Library that I could only previously perform on my Mac. That said, the learning curve has been painful - things I could do blind folded with Photoshop have required a lot of exploration in Photo to find the same or equivalent function. A tutorial about moving from Photoshop (desktop version) to Photo for iPad would be super useful. A couple things on Photo (iPad) that took a long time to figure out:

1. resizing the canvas (done)

2. free transform of pictures added to new layers (mostly figured out, but wondering if I can crop a photo in a layer without affecting the total document and also wondering if there is a simple rotate left/right of the added layer without using the super touch rotation lever which is difficult to hit exactly 90 degrees, etc)

3. text tools (partially figured out, but wondering how to change colors of text - also highlighting previously inserted text is difficult to see)

4. layer styles (I see there are many layer style controls, but how about drop shadow?)

5. A previous comment mentioned rulers - I didn't realize there were no rulers, but was planning on using them until I read the reply

Most of my comments/requests stem from my usage of Photoshop to produce collages of photos from postcard size up to poster size (where precise dimensions and high resolutions matter). Despite the bumps along the way, I am amazed at how well Photo for iPad has been working and hoping there are no major show stoppers in finishing my first project.

Hello,

It seems that RAW import directly from Photos is possible now? I tried yesterday and got a full resolution output. Last week or so, it seems to import only the embedded jpg, so I got a small, blurry picture to work with. But I am not aware of any updates? Maybe Apple changed something? *confused*

• Staff

Good afternoon all, just letting you know I've added three more videos to the first post: Basic Image Editing WorkflowRemoving Lens Flares and Quick Masking. Hope you find them useful! The basic workflow video in particular is in response to customers requesting a tutorial to take them through a general import-edit-export process.

Good afternoon all, just letting you know I've added three more videos to the first post: Basic Image Editing WorkflowRemoving Lens Flares and Quick Masking. Hope you find them useful! The basic workflow video in particular is in response to customers requesting a tutorial to take them through a general import-edit-export process.

These tutorials are really useful, thanks.

As an absolute beginner in photo editing, after I watched the initial iPad tutorials I started trying to follow along with some of the Mac ones and apply those lessons to the iPad version. Due to the layout differences between the two versions this hasn't always been easy, so I really appreciate these version-specific tutorials. I hope that more are in the pipeline. :)

The best upload workflow seems to be through Dropbox no issues so far and quite fast for large raw files. Now I wonder what would be the best way to upload raw files and store them on the iPad directly is there any good third party catalog browser software recommended (I really do not like the apple photo interface). ???