You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard Tool - size - selection - doesn't work

I've made an artboard larger than my artwork, selected the artwork and then using the Artboard Tool gone to Size and Selection (assuming that this would resize the artboard to the size of the selected objects), but it doesn't do anything. What's going on?

• Staff

Hi Markeeee,

The Artboard tool and options for it are for inserting a new artboard the size of the object/artboard selected.  So if you have a square at 200px by 200px and wanted an artboard the same size, select the square, then the artboard tool, set the size to selected and an artboard is created on top of the selected object at 200px by 200px :)

To change the size of an artboard, select it in the layers panel and use the transform box to enter a new width and height :)  You can also select the artboard with the artboard tool and use the blue handles round the rise to manually resize it :)

I'm coming from an Illustrator background (ditched it because it's too expensive). I love the way in Designer I can select my objects, then go to Export and 'Area: selection without background' so that I don't have to resize the artboard when making SVGs.

But if I do want to resize my artboard to fit my objects, there are a lot more steps than in Illustrator. I've got to Insert a new artboard, the same size as my selection. Then in the Layers panel, move my selection to the new artboard, then delete the old artboard. It doesn't seem very intuative.

17 minutes ago, Markeeee said:

I'm coming from an Illustrator background (ditched it because it's too expensive). I love the way in Designer I can select my objects, then go to Export and 'Area: selection without background' so that I don't have to resize the artboard when making SVGs.

But if I do want to resize my artboard to fit my objects, there are a lot more steps than in Illustrator. I've got to Insert a new artboard, the same size as my selection. Then in the Layers panel, move my selection to the new artboard, then delete the old artboard. It doesn't seem very intuative.

It's a bit easier if you select all the objects inside the artboard, (Ctrl + A) drag them outside the artboard then Insert Artboard with the Size set to Selection

art.jpg.60892dd0646bb5fb4a694915affab655.jpg

That will create an artboard exactly fitting the objects.

You will still have to delete the old, empty artboard.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 11 months later...

It wouldn't be much of a problem if artboard would be a snap object, but it isn't. It is not capable of snapping to insinde objects, so there are really no other option to adjust it to the bounding box of inner contents.

Illustrator in otherways can't create artboard right around selected objects, so you should select objects, create an artboard switch to artboard tool, select the artboard you want to use if it is not the one already selected, then you can get it jump to the selection. it is also a pain, and it can be also unintuitive, so it is not about illustrator being an intuitive software, it is miles from being intuitive.

The other problem with creating new artboard when you change the size of inner contents is that artboards are slices in the export persona  with a lot of export settings and sizes set up for it. So you can't really just delete it, you have to create the export settings and path commands again from ground zero.

• 5 months later...